flight socks

zoeee

is it ok for diabetics to wear flight socks?
i'm very active, think my feet / legs are generally in good working order! last year i was getting quite a lot of tingling in my feet and legs for a few months & my nurse briefly said "oh it could be the start of neuropathy nothing you can do about that" but i haven't had it since then, and at my feet checkups they're always pleased because i can feel everything fine and there's no numbness.
i'm going for an 11 hour flight so was just going to grab some but noticed some warnings on the back of boxes saying they're unsuitable and i wanted to check with everyone first - i assumed they'd only be an issue for people with very poor circulation?

Snodger

This is what Diabetes UK says about it:

Myth: People with diabetes can't wear flight socks
Many flight socks carry the warning that they are not suitable for people with diabetes. If you have any circulatory problems or complications with your feet, such as ulcers, then speak to your GP before using them. If, however, your feet and legs are generally healthy and you are normally active, using flight socks is unlikely to do you any harm.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-dia ... _and_FAQs/

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Zoee,

Just to be sure why not run this past your gp before buying/wearing these socks.

Nigel

sugar2

I am T1, but when I was in hospital, after having my children I had to wear flight socks all day, as I was in bed. They did not consider my diabetes to be a problem.. in fact, becasue I was diabetic, they were even more keen that I wore the bloomin things!

Edited to say, having said that, I went for the fidget my way through a flight option (walking up and down, getting in teh way of the stewardess's type thing) last time I flew. (5 hours)