Flour, I loath coconut, most recopies have it

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

The one thing I cant stand the smell or taste of is coconut.

You could (well before I had diabetes) put almost anything in front of me and I could eat it (OK somethings I'm not keen on, but can palate most things).

But coconut, no. Not allergic in a medical sense, but the taste makes me want to vomit.

I'm on a strict under 20 carbs a day at present, but am looking into going under 50 at some point, and then I would like to introduce a more varied diet.

Recipe after recipe calls for coconut flour, and on diet doctor, many also call for ground psyllium husk powder.

Two questions:
1) What can I use instead of coconut flower (is it simply a matter of using almond flour instead?)

2) Looking around various sites, I see comments that imply one brand of psyllium husk powder is not the same as another, Anyone in the UK used a brand successfully in low carb cooking that they can recommend please?

Many thanks

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Almond flour will probably work as well as coconut flour.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Almond flour is required in higher quantities (or with less liquid) than coconut. There are conversion tables about. I think the issue with some psyllium husk powders is they turn an odd colour. Not a problem I’ve had with any of the few brands I’ve tried (current is a generic bag off amazon :0 ). If no one can make any recommendations I’d just go ahead and try whatever you can find.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Psyllium can turn purple although I’ve never had this happen. I just buy whatever is the cheapest on Amazon. Apparently if you look for ‘blonde’ versions they don’t turn purple.

Reactions: HSSS

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make the occasional low carb recipe and always ignore the psyllium husk powder part and they still work. Don’t have any, don’t know what it is and it doesn’t sound like real food to me, so I just miss it out...!

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I presume ground almonds and almond flour is the same? If so, appears much cheaper in Asda

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks.

Best reviewed one I've found on Amazon so far is this one, but like this one, all the ones that say blonde, don't seem to be flour, someone made keto bread with it. Just want to double check as funds are tight and don't want to throw away my money :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Bl...2&sr=8-3&keywords=psyllium+husk+powder+blonde

Thanks
This is the last one I bought. Although it doesn’t say blonde I haven’t found it turns purple. It’s a smaller pack than your link but less outlay if you just want to try it out:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075YSDBK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: Ojustaboo

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I presume ground almonds and almond flour is the same? If so, appears much cheaper in Asda
Ground almonds are more ‘grainy’ than almond flour. However I always use ground almonds as they are so much cheaper than the flour. The recipes that I’ve made using ground almonds have been fine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ojustaboo - In terms of substitutions, I'd speculate much would depend on what you want to make. Although, if we're talking about, say thickening a sauce, almond flour or even just extra-thick double cream would work, but for baked goods, extra thick cream could be just plain wrong.

I don't use almond flour (although I have some in the pantry), I rarely use psyllium husk, because we tend to find the resultant texture a bit odd. We don't use maize or rice flour afterwards. I'm also medically gluten free (as opposed to by choice).

I don't find myself bereft of foods to eat. Indeed, I'm in SE Asia right now and working pretty blind, in terms of nutritional values, so there's a bit more testing happening, to ensure I'm not unwittingly going adrift.

I have always just eaten to my meter, and more my weighing scales, in an attempt to retain as wide and varied a diet (and lifestyle) as I can manage.

A while ago, in a meeting with a well known medic, he came out with a statement I love. It was quite simply:

"Moderate the carbs for blood sugars, and moderate fats to satisfy the weighing scales". That makes all manner of sense to me.

For me zero or 100gr carbs are fine, provided my bloods run in my personal running range, and the scales are broadly static.

Please don't take that as a telling off, but maybe just a suggestion of not getting too hung up on what any recipe says. My OH, who is the main cook in this บ้าน (how lucky am I??), approaches a recipe as an outline plan.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always - since I started low carb baking - used ground almonds but I also sometimes use sesame flour, hazelnut and walnut meal. Occasionally I'll add milled flax seeds or various other ground combinations of seeds and nuts (e.g. Linwoods). But I've never really got on very well with coconut flour!

And as for psyllium in any form or colour, I never touch the stuff after one extremely unpleasant experience with it. Originally it appears to have been recommended as "constipation killer", but now it seems to have become a popular baking ingredient, though I've never actually seen the need for it in anything I've made.

Robbity

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just baked myself two of the keto bread from Diet doctor.

Love the taste, they came out perfectly..

Only problem is, Almond Flour at £2.30 for 200 gram (Tesco, couldn't find any in my lidl) s, these two rolls used 1/4 of it.

I suppose I could look at it like buying an individual roll from a bakery would probably cost 25 - 30p, but I'm looking at how much a pack of 4 or 6 costs at morrisons :) But almost everything I look at uses Almond flour. Need to find it on offer and stock up :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, and use them as an occasional treat not as we would have used bread prior to diagnosis.