Flu and pneumonia jabs

mikecarter

Had both of these yesterday and my readings have been quite high since (9.3 last night and 7.6 this morning ) Is there any correlation between the two does anyone know?
Ta in advance
Mike

backpackergt

Dislikes
Crowds, Sand on my feet
Don't touch the flu jab!! Aren't we sticking enough chemicals in our body already, never had the flu jab i always refuse it, never had flu or much of a cold, do plenty of exercise, eat lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine.....in moderation. Seems to work just fine.

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think it is wise to tell people not to have the jabs. Diabetics, especially ones with cardio-vascular and respiratory problems are at real risk, while most people have few side-effects with the jabs. So even if the protection is overrated it doesn't really do you much harm to have them.

Tony_Holden

Dislikes
Mills and Boon books, hip hop music, New Labour.
I had both, nothing to worry about, though after being asked if I wanted them the nurse almost tried to put me off once I said yes.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
im not able to have flu jab and wish i could as ive recently had flu,aswell as my bloods being sky high i still feel lousy and couldnt even walk up the stairs to bed for over a week :(

mikecarter

backpackergt said:
Don't touch the flu jab!! Aren't we sticking enough chemicals in our body already, never had the flu jab i always refuse it, never had flu or much of a cold, do plenty of exercise, eat lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine.....in moderation. Seems to work just fine.

Bit lat now mate! See original post......

efaitch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
backpackergt said:

All very well if your immune system is functioning well. However, as a pregnant woman, if I catch flu, then it's gonna be a lot worse than having a preventative jab (which is after all a dead strain of the virus). Add diabetes to pregnancy and my immune system is probably on the pretty low side of functionality, lol!

To the OP: yes, my BG levels fluctuate (higher) when ill - whether it's the flu jab, cold or other kind of virus.

Fiona

Thirsty

backpackergt said:

Hello and welcome to our new troll.

Kindly post your bullsh1t elsewhere; nobody here wants to read it.

The Governor

What's the significance of the flu jab for us walking dead Diabetics then? Why do I suddenly need it now that I'm diagnosed?

Does Diabetes mean flu can be worse for us in general?

P.S. This forum is becoming a magent for frikking loons :D

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
To be perfectly honest I don't see anything wrong with backpackergt voicing his opinion about the flu jab.It is just that,an opinion.The low carbers voice their opinion on low carbs the others voice their opinions as well.I thought this was a community where opinions can be voiced.Am I wrong?

Thirsty

Sue, I'm afraid I'll have to admit to not being the most patient person in the world, but when people make demonstrably false and potentially dangerous claims here, don't you think they should be rigorously challenged?

Influenza and its associated complications really does kill vulnerable people, and the vaccine has been shown to be an effective preventative measure.

Let's see what backpackergt actually said...

Don't touch the flu jab!!

Why? Is there any reputable research which shows it's dangerous?

Aren't we sticking enough chemicals in our body already

This statement appears to reveal a woeful ignorance of what vaccines are, and the way they work.

, never had the flu jab i always refuse it, never had flu or much of a cold, do plenty of exercise, eat lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine.....in moderation. Seems to work just fine.

Lots of fruit & veg & drink red wine....in moderation? How does that work, then? How much is a moderate amount of lots of fruit & veg & red wine?

Gah!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
There is actually research that shows that certain people can be allergic to the flu jab.That's why they make you sit for at least 10 minutes before you can go home.

My comment ,however, is more on the point that he is just voicing his opinion.It is up to the individual to make up their own minds on the subject.

backpackergt

Dislikes
Crowds, Sand on my feet
ha ha I knew that would bring out the politcal correct comments, must do as I'm told brgade or thow shall be struck down blah blah blah. Everyone to their own.
If flu kills me then fine I'll live with that!
Good for you have your flu jab I don't care either way.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
Do we (that's the royal we) get offered flu jabs no matter what age if diabetic then?

Regards
Chris

Thirsty

backpackergt said:
ha ha I knew that would bring out the politcal correct comments, must do as I'm told brgade or thow shall be struck down blah blah blah. Everyone to their own.
If flu kills me then fine I'll live with that!
Good for you have your flu jab I don't care either way.

Q.E.D.

:roll:

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
backpackergt said:

I am quite new at the diabetes buiness but have had flu a couple of times (spent the start of 2000 in bed instead of at the Dome because of it!) and would rather take the professional advise on this, especially now my situation has changed. Regarding the Pneumonia one, my Dad nearly died of it a few years back and his lungs are badly damaged now and he is not very active anymore. I leapt at the chance for this one the other day, My first flu one is booked for Thursday.

Re the chemicals thing - I agree on the whole I have always taken a more chemical free approach when possible in the past but with this I will not take the risk! My colds used to be treated with hot water, honey, lemon and ginger (and the occasional dash of whisky) in the past!

SweetGuy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sugarless sue said:
There is actually research that shows that certain people can be allergic to the flu jab.That's why they make you sit for at least 10 minutes before you can go home.

The didn't make me sit for 10mins, they thew me out straight away :) I wouldn't have minded a cup of tea and some biscuits either.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Ha no tea and biscuits just sit!!They only did this the first time in case of a reaction.