1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Flu Jab

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Neicy0412, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dizzyrj

dizzyrj · Member

I've already have the flu this year so I have not had the jab.

2. AMBrennan

AMBrennan · Well-Known Member

Had mine yesterday. Surprisingly, it did neither killed me nor caused sky high BG nor caused autism. :think:

3. Hellbunny

Hellbunny Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Had mine on weds, had a dead arm for 3 days but other than that no bother, in and out in less than a minute! :)

4. Unbeliever

Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

I tried o make an appointment fr flu jabs for myself and husband oday. Our practice has two surgeries
    about a thousand nurses [only a slight exagerration} we were prepared o go to eiher at any time.
    They have had clinics for the past few years but before that if you so uch as walked past he surgery a Dr would pop out and offer you a jab.
    Not today however. No can't be done. Ah wait a slot next wednesday. h no ! Only one slot , can't possibley do TWO jabs . next appointment available. Oh no idea we don;t work it out more than 2 weeks ahead.
    Might try Boots. less hassle .
    A slot indeed! akes a few seconds! We used to call i empire Building. This is why I have given up trying to get the 3 monthly HbA1cs the consultant ordered. They can' t fdo simple things. Everything has to be a "clnic " or a "review" or now a "slot"!

5. AMBrennan

My surgery does flue clinics on weekends with all staff working assembly line - seems quite efficient given the amount of paperwork and safety precautions involved.

6. elainechi

elainechi · Well-Known Member

jane 12 T 1 has flu jab every year now......always a bit late for her as a few days of autumn term and she gets a cold that turns into a chest infection....perfectly safe for kids so go for it x

7. michellem

michellem Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ouch! Had mine yesterday at work, sore arm now!

8. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Hi all.
    Had my flu jab yesterday morning.
    Bit of a sore arm last night - am fine this morning achey arm gone! :thumbup:
    Anna.

9. desidiabulum

desidiabulum · Well-Known Member

I find that arranging a date for a flu jab is a surefire way of ensuring that I then fall ill anyway and have to reschedule the injection. It just happened yet again this week. Maybe the answer is not to arrange the test and just pay a nurse to creep up unawares and stab me from behind...

10. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

-
    Hi .
    How weird this happened with me - I had mine booked couple of weeks back.
    I look after our 3yr old grandaughter 2-3 days weekly [parents working]
    Lifted her up and ended up at hospital with a torn muscle in my back! :thumbdown:
    Had to cancel the flu jab appt !
    Had it done yesterday instead - jabbed arm fine now.
    Back still painful !!! :problem:
    Anna.

11. PlymouthDave

PlymouthDave · Active Member

I always have this dilemma every year , should I or shouldn't I. I always end up having it but I still have doubts.

12. dwibley

dwibley · Member

For the previous years that I've not had the flu vaccination - surprisingly, I'm still here, my blood glucose levels are marvellous and no autism either

13. AMBrennan

Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I was referring to the autism scare based on a now withdrawn Lancet article by the now struck-off Andrew Wakefield.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom · Well-Known Member

I will be thinking twice before having a 'flu jab. I had my first ever jab nearly two years ago (before I knew I was diabetic) and less than 6 weeks later, I developed an auto-immune condition called Vasculitis - a rash from inflammed/leaking blood vessels. It is in itself 'fairly uncommon' but according to the web is a possible reaction to vaccines. The tingling I still had in my hands and feet led to the diabetes tests and diagnosis. So - not in a hurry to have another 'flu jab. If anyone has had the same reaction, I would be very interested to know.

15. DickM

DickM · Active Member

Had my jab yesterday and had no problems at all. Have been having it since I was diagnosed and have never had any side effects, don't even feel the needle.

16. Tootse

Tootse · Well-Known Member

For the last few years, before being diagnosed earlier this year in June, I have received a letter requesting I go in to have the flu jab. However, this year I have heard nothing. I wonder why?

I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next week and will add this to my list of questions.

17. lisamariebrankin

lisamariebrankin · Active Member

my daughter had hers about 2-3 weeks back... me nor my partner have ever had it but we left the surgery with a smile.
    someone mentioned earlier on the thread about allergic reaction... the jab contains egg in it... so we were smiling bout my daughter having egg injected in her leg lol...

on a serious note though... the docs and scientists obviously know what they are doing, otherwise they wouldnt waste money giving them out free to certain people... i would never go against the science!!! my daughter ran high bms for a few days then returned to her normal self... no flu yet lol :) (touch wood)

18. Gluck

Gluck · Newbie

Went for my 6 month blood test and got persuaded by the nurse to have my flu jab "well your here now so you might as well". I think she just enjoying poking people...
    Sore arm etc all better now ... still waiting on those blood test results though

19. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Mines tomorrow morning :( RRB

20. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Nothing to worry about RRB :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook