Flu Jab?

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Yes it's coming up to that time of year.

Is it recommended for Diabetics to have the flu jab? i know it's probably in the millions of pieces of paper i have been given but i simply don't have the energy at the moment to go rooting.

I will, without fail, get some sort of flu/cold/ can't get out of bed, this winter. Oh the joy!

perhaps i shouldn't do the new years day dip this year? lol lol :lol: yes swimming in the sea on new years day is the perfect way to catch the bugs. but it does clear the head after the new years eve!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Manxangel,
Yes, a flu jab is highly recomended for people with diabetes, for several reasons:
- diabetes itself can make you more vulnerable to the flu virus
- flu can cause blood glucose levels to fluctuate wildly, making control almost impossible
- people with diabetes are more likely to suffer complications of flu such as pneumonia and bronchitis
- the after effects of flu can leave fatty deposits in the blood. increasing the risk of strokes and reduced blood flow to the legs and feet.

manxangel

Dislikes
righto, thanks for that. I will get on and see if i can get one sorted.

Kath
x

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

You mighte want to ask about getting the Pneumonia jab as well. This is not a year one - one jab does against 23 types pf pneumonia for life. You can have it with the flu one (although as my nurse pointed out if you were to react you would not know which one was the trigger). I had mine yesterday and my flu next week. - Daft thing is I still freak about the needles even though I do myslef 4 times a day!!!) :?

Best of luck

Louise

Nemo

I had a routine appointment booked for this morning with GP, at which I planned to book my flu jab, but think I have the flu right now. Typical.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Nemo,
If you are able to sit and type at your computer then you probably don't have flu!

Most of us complain that we've had a bout of flu when what we have actually had is just a heavy cold. I've only had flu 3 times in my life, twice I was laid up in bed for two weeks and once I was unconscious and delerious for 3 days. Effectively if you are able to stand and walk without your knees giving way then you ain't got it!

Nemo

Fair ponit, and having had proper flu before, I totaly agree, it just feels like the early days of flu, aching, dry cough, nausea, dizzyness, hot and cold, though don't think I have a temp as such, bad headache. I'm hoping it goes away rather than gets worse, then I will book the flu jab!

manxangel

Dislikes
yeah i know the flu as well. my mother called the doctor round (panicing asnormal) and he asked me to sit up in bed and i told him to F%&k off.

did not feel good that day. goiod job he had a sense of humor