Flu jab

Jackie006

Can anyone advise me please I am type1 and been offered flu jab but I have heard so many things from people that have had it some good some bad I really dnt know to have it or not many thanx

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had flu jab for the last 8 or9 years and have had no reaction whatsoever to them, others report differently so its probably only something you can decide yourself

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mine every year, never miss, never had flu and never had any reactions. I also had the pneumonia one that lasts a life time (I think)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had it two years in a row and felt ill for days both times. I haven't had it since.

However, I do think it depends on the individual as to whether they feel happy about running the risk of flu, and whether they have other health problems that make them vulnerable.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I used to work with the elderly so always got one, I've been having them for twenty + years and never had a problem, even if you do feel off for a couple of days it's better than flu which takes a couple of weeks or more to recover from.
If you are eligible for the pnumonia vaccine, take that too, pnumonia nearly killed me a few years ago, just not worth the risk and as Blue Tit said above it only needs to be done once to cover you for life

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Can anyone advise me please I am type1 and been offered flu jab but I have heard so many things from people that have had it some good some bad I really dnt know to have it or not many thanx
Never had a problem with it in 17 years. Sometimes a sore arm for a couple of days but totally worth it because I've had the flu and it's nasty. And that was before diabetes. With diabetes, I'd expect to end up in hospital and be sick for several weeks. So not worth it when the vaccine provides a good amount of protection for virtually no risk.

Reactions: 7 people

Rob2006Scott

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with what a lot of what has already been said in that getting 'flu' is awful. It takes weeks to recover fully even without diabetes. The vaccination does not make you immune (it is made up of the 3 most likely strains for that year), but I think it's better than nothing. Do some research yourself and speak to your DSN. A lot of the stories you hear are exaggerated but some will be true.
I feel a bit run down for a day or so after my jab, but that's pretty standard. It's down to what you decide.

Reactions: 6 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Never had a problem with it in 17 years. Sometimes a sore arm for a couple of days but totally worth it because I've had the flu and it's nasty. And that was before diabetes. With diabetes, I'd expect to end up in hospital and be sick for several weeks. So not worth it when the vaccine provides a good amount of protection for virtually no risk.

I'm similar to @CatLadyNZ so for me its essential and had one for years. Last years was not good, first time Id got flu for years and was very very ill but there have been reports that it was only effective in 35%ish of people. Had this years last week. Bit of an achy arm this time but no other reaction! Sue xxx

Reactions: 5 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I'm similar to @CatLadyNZ so for me its essential and had one for years. Last years was not good, first time Id got flu for years and was very very ill but there have been reports that it was only effective in 35%ish of people. Had this years last week. Bit of an achy arm this time but no other reaction! Sue xxx
That's right, last year's was less effective than normal but it still provided more protection than not having it. Unlike most vaccines, which need to be taken once for life or once every 10 years or so, the flu vaccine needs to be taken every year because the types of flu strains in the community changes year to year. So each summer scientists estimate the strains likely for the coming winter and develop a vaccine to cover as many of them as possible. Last year there were some strains very active in the community that were not in the vaccine, and instead of being 60-80% effective the vaccine was only about 28% effective. Some people used this to claim the vaccine was a complete waste of time, but this is inaccurate. Scientists are making good progress on developing a vaccine that will be effective over several years.

Reactions: 8 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was only diagnosed type 2 in April and didn't even know the flu vaccine was recommended until reading this post. I have now discovered it is recommended because we're at greater risks of flu complications and three times more likely to die from pneumonia. Oh joy. Just when I think I'm getting to grips with this condition, I find out something else :(

Diabetes, the condition that just keeps on giving!

Reactions: 14 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Get mine every year, last 2 years I've had the flu jab done at my pharmacy who then notify my gp surgery that I've had it done.

@Jackie006, not wanting to sway you either way, but if you get flu it makes type 1 diabetes extremely difficult to control, I had flu several years ago and my bg went haywire and I've never felt so ill, so much so that I could hardly lift my head off the pillow, flu in some cases can lead to Pneumonia which is a very serious condition, however the choice is yours as to whether you get the jab or not.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was only diagnosed type 2 in April and didn't even know the flu vaccine was recommended until reading this post. I have now discovered it is recommended because we're at greater risks of flu complications and three times more likely to die from pneumonia. Oh joy. Just when I think I'm getting to grips with this condition, I find out something else :(

Diabetes, the condition that just keeps on giving!

You should get a letter from your surgery inviting you to make an appointment.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the flu - the real flu not a very bad cold was out of action for weeks that's why I get the jab - it was over 12 years ago and can still remember how ill I felt!

This was before diagnosis and I was fit as a biddy!

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got it last year and it was the best thing ever. I never even had a sniffle!

M

mammamia2006

I had it done 4 years in a row & 4 years in a row I became VERY ill. I never got it last year and was absolutely fine, apart from a couple of days with the sniffles.

Everyone is different though, the only way to find out if it works for you is to get it :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Had 6 months of colds and chest inections after flu jab.roughest time ever. Never had last year and never will againsince

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread is really interesting... Opinions are really split! I am deffo an advocate for, I was always getting colds and flu.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This thread is really interesting... Opinions are really split! I am deffo an advocate for, I was always getting colds and flu.
Where people have said they were sick after their flu shot, that doesn't necessarily mean the flu shot caused the illness. It's most likely a coincidence that they happened to get sick around the same time. There is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that you can catch the flu from the flu shot or that it makes you more likely to catch a cold.

Reactions: 13 people

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where people have said they were sick after their flu shot, that doesn't necessarily mean the flu shot caused the illness. It's most likely a coincidence that they happened to get sick around the same time. There is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that you can catch the flu from the flu shot or that it makes you more likely to catch a cold.

This is true, Since I have been getting it I have had no trouble. A lot of my friends refuse to get it as they think you are injected with a live virus. This however is a myth. I had a really sore arm for days after my pneumonia jab though! :D

Reactions: 11 people