Flucloxacillin

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

Am on my second 7 day course of Flucloxacillin 500mg x 4 daily - does anyone know if these affect blood sugars ?? I am struggling at the moment as it is and could just do without this. The tablets are due to an infected toe which is due to ingrowing toe nail - just because I don't have enough to deal with!!

Many thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt its the antibiotics more likely the infection putting up your numbers, try and drink a little more of the fluid of your preference just not booze with that particular antibiotic.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I've had an infected ingrown toenail a few times. If it wasn't for a good podiatrist I would have ended up needing surgery. She also said being overweight had contributed to it. I feel for you, it's a miserable thing to have. Hugs.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just concentrate on getting yourself better and try not to worry about it as stressing out won't help. As stated above it might pay to make an appointment with a podiatrist to prevent it from happening again as diabetes is enough to deal with without any extra stresses.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Being diabetic for 5 years now I have had hundreds of courses of Fluxclox and never noticed any increases in BGs as they were always due to the infection. I found the fact of not being able to eat for an hour after taking them and the 4 x 500mg capsules was a bit much for a diabetic on insulin. I now get Lymecycline 408mg 1 cap a day when I get skin infections and you can eat straight away after taking them.

nicolarse01

As above, its the infection causing the raised blood sugars. Stress can also cause high blood sugars so try to chill out a bit, let the anti biotics do their thing and keep testing and fixing your bm's.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been seeing a private chiropodist for 20 years now and we had managed to contain my problems. However today I have had part of my one big toenail removed so, fingers crossed, when that has healed I should not have any more trouble with that one. And I have decided that if this one heals ok I will go and get the other one done. My GP did it as she does minor surgeries at the surgery every week.

G

graj0

Hi Everyone,

Am on my second 7 day course of Flucloxacillin 500mg x 4 daily - does anyone know if these affect blood sugars ?? I am struggling at the moment as it is and could just do without this. The tablets are due to an infected toe which is due to ingrowing toe nail - just because I don't have enough to deal with!!

Many thanks.
As satindoll says, it'll be the infection rather than the antibiotic. I've just taken antibiotics for 2 weeks because believe it or not I have had appendicitis. Luckily it didn't burst, just grew a little sac. It took them from July 13th until last Wednesday 19th August to tell me what the heck was going on. I was told it was Gall Stones at one point. The one thing I take away from this experience is never underestimate the effects of an infection, my BG was all over the place, even when I was hardly eating.
My father lost a toe because of an ingrowing toenail which he kept telling everyone was "OK". When the infection set in, it was obvious something was not right. He was lucky.
I decided at that point that I'd get my feet checked properly and regularly, it might be twice the price of a haircut, but long hair shouldn't be killing me any time soon. I'm very pleased that you caught the infection in time, it could have been worse, much worse.

Last edited: