1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fluctuating symptoms

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Fluffy12, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Master

On a previous post Fluffy has said she’s fifteen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

As things are differnt on different days, It might be worth keeping a diary for a few weeks detailing what you were doing, what had to eat, what symptoms, if any, you notiiced and when in the day. That could help you and the doctor to get a handle on whats happening

• Like Like x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I think each and every one of us has to be very careful of using a symptom checker such as this one. I put in there some symptoms (feeling the cold, having a low body temperature, and being constipated) and it returned such a wide range of potentially very scary conditions:

upload_2018-1-21_20-3-58.png

Those are just the Top Ten. The full list contains 7 Red Flag conditions.

For anyone with a bit of health anxiety, some of the things on the full list would have them go into a depressive decline.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Fluffy12

Fluffy12 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I am 15 and am a student in secondary school

5. Fluffy12

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

With T1 diabetes most of us would have had an hba1c much higher at diagnosis.

Some children are at risk of T2 diabetes and it maybe that it could be worthwhile talking to GP and asking whether they think you could be nearing any confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

I dont know your height, weight or amount of activity, but this may also be talked about with GP if possible.

Your levels are raised and consideration should be given to both T1 and T2 for a child. As said T1's are offen found with much higher hba1c at diagnosis, but you may have been alert enough to have an early diagnosis if a GP agreed... or indeed nowadays children can also be considered for T2 diagnosis?

Are you going to GP with an adult? (If so, )what is the adults views on your GP?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

It's interesting that you feel better at weekends. When I was 8 and a Type 1, I was put on a carbohydrate controlled diet. This meant I could eat cereals, bread, rice, pasta, milk, potatoes, fruit or anything with carbs, but in limited amounts. Breakfast for example would be 45grams. Without knowing how much of each thing you're eating it's hard to tell what might be going on. If you look at labels they should tell you how much carbohydrate per serving or per 100gms. It would be interesting to see how much exactly you are taking in. A pint of milk is around 30gms, depending on how much fat there is. Fruit juice is loaded and is absorbed very quickly. Diabetes does tend to make us become food analysers!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fluffy12

I don't think I am at risk of developing type 2 as I am very skinny 48kg and I am 5ft and well my mum thinks that it is my diet that is causing this and that I should eat less but I don't know

9. donnellysdogs

Your diet has quite alot of bread type of carby foods... but I am not a teenager...
    but I wpuld certainly be listening to my mum if she suggested change? What has mum been suggesting as alternatives?

Have you lost weight? This can be sign of T1 although your levels are not the typical T1 on diagnosis....
    I do wonder if you have been alert enough to catch signs early...

10. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

-
    Don't think it is a good idea for her to look on a symptom checker site they only make people think they have all sorts of diseases

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fluffy12

My mum has suggested to eat brown bread and eat less fruit!!
    I have lost 3kg but it has been over 4 weeks even though I am eating and drinking more than usual

12. donnellysdogs

Bread, is bread I'm afraid... but if you didnt have rising hba1c then your pancreas would be dealing with the carbs in them... and your blood levels and hba1c would be in the normal bracket.

What would your mum rather you eat than so much fruit?

Have you any access to a blood meter at all to find out what is happening affer you have ate or first thing in morning?

13. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

Well my mum believes in Korean Fan Death and homeopathic placebo pills. Merely giving birth does not confer on one a medical degree.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #33 BunsenHoneydew, Jan 22, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. Fluffy12

my mum thinks that fruit will help lower my blood sugars but i disagree. It is healthy though
    i don't have access to a blood sugar meter even though i wish i did

15. BunsenHoneydew

BunsenHoneydew Prediabetes · Active Member

The sugar in fruit is still sugar though

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. donnellysdogs

Listening is not necessarily acting.... listening allows people to form clues as to the other persons reasoning... and to then identify if they wish to act, or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fluffy12

I know but are there other alternatives that I can suggest??

18. donnellysdogs

Cheese, ham and cucumber in cubes as a snack box?
    Nuts?
    For breakfast, perhaps an omelette or sausage, egg and/or bacon?
    Or a ramekin of warmed up blueberries and greek yogurt, or coconut yogurt?
    Plain yogurt?

More, later... have alook at low carb ideas on here and show them to your mum?
    If you look, then you are having good input too, even beftsr if ypu both could try making together??

19. Pinkorchid

That could be a lot of things it is not right to tell a 15 year old she has diabetes when she has not been diagnosed We are not qualified to give a diagnosis only a doctor can do that

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Pinkorchid

She is 15 so minor and she has not been diagnosed with diabetes so it is wrong to say that she has got it. I don't think her parents would be very pleased with unqualified people telling her she has diabetes when she has been told by doctors that she has not got it

• Agree Agree x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook