Fluctuation in readings

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, I admit it, I am so out of my depth here it's not true!

Since diagnosis 10 days ago I have totally overhauled my diet and the pounds are starting to come off my belly. Although not rigidly following a LCHF diet, I am really really close and I feel a lot healthier as a result. On top of that, I am a passionate photographer and birder, so go out walking most days. All of which I know has significantly helped me start the return journey to good health. All this has meant that the GP is keeping her hands off the prescription pad to see if I can do this on my own.

I only started testing very recently and I notice that all the readings fluctuate between 4.0 and 7.3. Now, I understand all of these are in normal range but should there be such a wide disparity between the top and bottom figure? Should I be trying to keep all the results close to about 5.0? Or am I simply making a mountain out if a molehill?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, the aim isn't to keep your blood sugar at one number all the time. It's completely entirely normal for you blood sugar to vary in response to food, activity etc.

Here is some information showing continuous glucose monitor traces in healthy (non diabetic) subjects - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769652/ - you will see that they don't have a flat line.

Also, fluctuations 4-7 are absolutely brilliant! Well done on your diet changes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The idea over time is to see patterns changing in your blood glucose levels, with the different foods you eat. And if you are losing weight, your insulin resistance should be getting better, so your blood glucose levels should be better.
Your readings are very good, if you're within 2mmols from your pre meal reading and your two hour post first bite reading.
Well done!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're adding and burning fuel (in the form of your food) all the time so this is just being reflected in what you're seeing.

Everyone's - even non-diabetics - glucose levels constantly vary depending on what you've eaten, when you've eaten, your activity, health, stress levels, ...etc, and even the weather.

As @nosher8355 says, look for trends and patterns.

Robbity