Flue like symptoms and stomach pain constanstly sent home from school

Lebsky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi my son was diagnosed sept 16 and has had many days off school with feeling unwell he was on lantus and novarapid. His symptoms started after about 3 months from being diagnosed wanted to sleep all the time said his legs hurt and stomach had pains. We stopped taking lantus and he got better within days but as exspected his BS levels raised. He was then put on Levemir which worked ok for a few weeks then the same thing started but with stomach and feeling lethargic no energy sleeping all the time like a zombie no laughter just pale and lethargic and more hypos. Reduced Levemir dose and took in morings and only took novorapid with night time meals. seemed ok for a few days then started having bad hypos at school and then went down hill has been at home now for 9 day mostly sleeping. Consultant has just suggested changing to Tresiba so any comments welcome. Also does anyone take Humulin insulin as the one thing all the insulins my son takes in they are all Analog wondered if an Human insulin might help?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That or would you consider a pump and remove the need for the long acting insulin? you just use very small doses of fast acting instead 24 hours a day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Lebsky Sorry to hear of your son's issues, my immediate thought is that tresiba is much more stable and after trying both lantus and levemir myself I found tresiba to be the best of the lot, helped keep BG more stable and only one injection a day. I've heard of others with issues with both lantus and levemir so it's not uncommon that these aren't effective for some t1's. I would also push your consultant to get a pump referral, as the pumps uses novorapid, any issues with background insulins are taken away and control is much tighter with a pump, under NICE guidelines he should be referred for this.