Fluids

Hooch01

Can anyone suggest what else I can drink besides water and diet coke, which does not increase my blood sugar levels? I find that I can drink plenty of water and diet coke, but if I drink anything else, even those which have no added sugar, it increases my blood sugar levels. There are so many different juices and squashes out there, but none, which do not increase my sugar levels. Please help, as water and diet coke is getting really boring now :(

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
You could try herb or fruit teas :idea: Some are an acquired taste but if you work at it they are quite acceptable. :D

Dippy3103

Fennel tea is really refreshing.
It's allegedly good for your digestion and also curb ones appetite. I can't comment either way on that but it tastes and smells really nice.
I am just tucking into a slimline tonic, ice and a slice! Gin would probably make it even nicer, but I'm being good (and am too lazy to go out for some).

RichardNY

Dislikes
People that feel the need to put others down in order to make themselves feel better. A closed mind. A Fiscal view of life. Oh and Emu he used to scare the **** out of me when I was a kid :-s
Hi Hooch1,

As Synonym has already said the herb and fruit teas are good as well as the natural infusion range. I use the 'twinings' brand simply becuase they dont affect my sugar levels and you just cool them to make a fruit flavoured drink, extra effort I know but it gets that variety back that I think some of us miss :) They are caffiene free too which I think for some of us (not all by any means) can raise our sugars, which if your having problems with other drinks raising your sugars might and I stress might just be the reason if they contain caffiene ... but your already drinking sugar free coke so I suspect this won't be the case.

One thing I will say about the infusion range tho is some of the berry and mixed berry types are very sweet and I couldnt tell the difference from a 'summer fruits' sugar drink but my sugars didn't move at all :D give it a whirl and keep your meter to hand and test, others seem to have success with things like green teas (I didn't) but a couple of diabetic friends use them no problem as do others on this board. Other than that I'm out of idea's :)

All the best.

Richard.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

I also find myself gettng really sick of diet coke and water, as i'm not a fan of tea or coffee.

Must remember there' a differenc between 'no added sugar' and 'sugar free'... like fruit flavoured drinks have natural sugar, if there is fruit juice in it. this may be why it may raise your BG's.

There's alot more choice out there now i think... all the 'zero' drinks like fanta DrPepper etc.

But doesn't help much if you don't fancy fizzy drinks all the time i guess..

it's just trial and error to see if any different brand of squashes that aren't 100% sugar free raises your BG too much.

I happily drink robinsons often with no problems :)

Amanda Hugankiss

Dislikes
Chaos
I also find there are hidden carbs in "diet" drinks, I just stick to Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet Shweppes Lemonade (which is lovely BTW) and Water. Things you can get pretty much anywhere.