Flying and security

lionrampant

Hi folks,

I'm getting sick fed up paying my Doctor £15 a go to write letters justifying taking my insulin and BG machine on-board flights (in this oh so scary-but-really-just-paranoid-world we're in right now). So has anyone just taken prescription, or something else?

I swear I'm going to get a t-shirt made up "Diabetes ≠ Terrorism"

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Lion,
You could probably get away with a prescription for the UK end, but would anyone abroad have a clue what it was? I got my GP to do me a "To whom it may concern" letter but undated. I have used it on several trips in the last 15 months.

Katharine

I have the same old letter/hospital discharge note from 5 years ago. I keep it with the passports and wee plastic health card thingy. I have never been asked for it yet !

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you attend a hospital clinic (not necessarily diabetic clinic) they'll probably do you a letter for free.

DUK do a plastic card for £5, you add a passport-type photo and your doctor signs it, then you seal it.

scottishkate

I've never been asked to see a letter/proof etc and I fly fairly frequently and that includes when I was backpacking around various far-flung places.

I must have an innocent face! :wink:

PaulLove

I just got back from holiday at the weekend. Not once was I asked for a letter. Didn't stop me at security either.

But..... I guess the one time you don't take a letter with you, they'll stop you! (aka sods law). I got an undated letter that I have photo copied and take that with me

Paul

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
I think whether or not you get questioned depends very much on the country in question. The Americans are pretty paranoid since 9/11 and on two occasions I have seen passengers refused boarding because they had no proof that what they were carrying really was insulin (and both were US citizens, not visitors). In October last year I was challenged at Boston Logan, despite carrying my GP's letter, and told I would have to inject myself to prove to them the substance in the pen was what it was claimed to be (Byetta not insulin). I told them I couldn't do that because I had just taken my permitted jab and couldn't have another one for at least 6 hours. If I injected again the overdose would result in a severe hypo on the plane and I would probably leave the plane in a bodybag at the other end. Eventually I got them to call the airport doctor who explained the situation to them and I was finally allowed to continue.

lionrampant

That's it. The only solution is for everyone to vote Libertarian. Granted you may have to carry a weapon every time you leave the house, but it'd probably be less hassle than this...

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
oh my gawd - hadn't even considered any of that - am leaving the country in 3 weeks time and will rely on looking innocent and throwing a MAJOR hissy fit (cue a lot of tears) if anyone so much as dare question my carrying of blood testing equipment ...

chocoholic

I do not get a new letter each time I travel. I just use the first letter I ever got. I think it is dated but because my circumstances haven't and won't change I saw no reason to get a new letter. I've never ben asked for it either.

lilibet

In a similar vein (but probably worse) I went to a concert recently and whilst being searched at the door was advised I couldnt come in with food and drink and would have to leave it in a box and collect it after the concert

This was my first social venture (and drink) since dx so wasnt delighted and had to inform her that i was diabetic and that I needed access to food (hypo kit obv) and she could not take it from me.
At the word diabetic, she mumbled something about 'being careful' and not dropping things on the floor (ie needles). Didnt have the energy (with queues of people behind) to have a fight and ask her what was so dangerous about digestive biscuits

So, airport will be a skoosh :D

L

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
The danger of a digestive biscuit caused much sniggerage here ... I guess the only concerned parties should coeliac ... not suggesting for one minute that disorder is funny in and of itself buuuut ... you know what I mean!

Jay3109

Oh no, not the dreaded digestive bikkie...clearly a harmful substance which should be banned by all right thinking people!! :lol:

I am a fairly frequent flyer and always carried my letter in my passport until a hotel in Dubai managed to lose it for me last year. I have since travelled without one and am rarely asked about my novapen or my insulin. But next time I go to the clinic I will get another one just to be on the safe side...

jopar

Jem

I take it that you are not offay with the realms of 'health and saftey'? (and some of it's wried thinking!

A digestive biscuit can cause all sorts of problems and health issues for the unsuspecting general public...

Senerio

Diabetic take a biscuit to a venu, and drops said biscut on the floor, a second person comes past spills there drink (venu brought and in a plastic saftey glass) onto said biscuit this make the said biscuit soggy then a third person comes along slips of the said biscuit thats become soggy slips and falls breaks a leg and a arm in fall on said soggy biscuit, then proceeds to sue the venu owners for a lack of 'health and saftey' !

As you can see that even the humble diagestive biscuit can cause a major incedent indeed.... :D

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
. . . so there's a market for non-absorbent/non-slip digestive biscuits then . . . are you listening McVities?

lilibet

Think might live dangerously next time I visit said venue and take Hob Nobs.

In more 'diabetic attends concert like a real person shocker' news I went to another concert in the same week where I couldnt test or eat my snack at usual pre bed time.
Consequently over ran by 35 mins and knew I would be dropping fast (beauty of pre mixed insulin - yeuch!). Just made it to 4 when I tested and you should have seen the faces of the other concert goers when I came out the toilet as white as a sheet, in the black clothes, with my foil package to throw in the bin .

They didnt get to see the stuffing oatcakes in your cakehole scenario in the toilet so likely assumed it was Afghanistan's 'finest'. LOL :D

God knows how I'll cope with music festivals....................

Jay3109

reminds me of the time I was 'shooting up' in the office loo. It was quite early in the morning and I hadn't bothered to go into a cubicle. Ithought the cleaners were finished but the look on the poor lady's face as she walked in was quite a picture...trying to explain diabetes to a nice Polish lady was not easy... :shock:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husband has flown dozens of times in the 35 years since he was diagnosed. It's NEVER caused a problem. They once made me dismantle my camera, whilst not bothering with syringes (Pre pen days.) We flew to Malaga twice this summer and no-one even looked at the diabetes paraphernalia.
They did make my daughter, taste the boiled water she had for the baby's bottles at Gatwick. In Malaga on the return, they looked at the bottles and the baby and waved us through. Gave us a boarding card with BB on it and that was it. Priority boarding too.
We always split the insulin. Some in T1's backpackand some in my handbag.