Flying with Insulin and needles

martinsoton

Hi Everyone

I am flying internally in the uk on sat, and it has just occured to me that i am going to be carrying insulin, needles in my hand luggage. I have not done this before, are we allowed what are the rules?

Martin

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have accompanied T1 husband on planes reguarly for 30 years. I carry a full spare set of "Gear" . Neither of us has ever been stopped. In fact the only thing we have evrer had trouble with was boiled water to make up the baby's bottle. last summer, when leaving London. In Malaga, they just wrote BB on the boarding card and that was it.
Do you have a diabetic identity card? just in case. I think most airport security personnel recognise diabetic stuff when they see it. they must get dozens every day.

martinsoton

Hi

I was hopping that is what the case was. I have emailed flybe and asked, but they have not emailed me back. I have just heard crazy things about airport security. Ive got id cards, and an id band. I thought i may need a gp's leter or something similar.

thanks for your reply

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Martin

I have never been stopped either and I fly a lot, but having heard the experiences of others, I have recently asked for a letter from my consultant "just in case". Might cost you £10, but better that than be inconvenienced at the airport.

It is also worth remembering that security is handled by the airport you are flying to/from, not the airline you are flying with, so although flybe may have their own policy, that is separate from the security scan/x-ray machine process on the ground.

willogs

Just came back from (thurs) and flew with Easyjet, their policy on the internet states that as a diabetic you can carry your 'stuff' without need for a letter, but my consultant gave me one free of charge anyway, they were more concerned about any fluids you might be carrying.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
willogs said:
Just came back from (thurs) and flew with Easyjet, their policy on the internet states that as a diabetic you can carry your 'stuff' without need for a letter, but my consultant gave me one free of charge anyway, they were more concerned about any fluids you might be carrying.

yes ditto i'v flown many times especially to usa without any trouble but always carry a doctors note just in case

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
sorry to go on about this, but it's worth emphasising:

One particular airline's stated policy regarding what they will and won't allow is irrelevant to airport security, through which you have to pass successfully in order to get to your plane. I'm not saying ignore the airline's advice, but don't regard it as the only factor that matters, because you can't rely on it when passing through the airport.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I read somewhere that it is advised to carry a note from your doctor to the effect that you are insulin dependant and that insulin should always be carried in your hand luggage and NOT with your luggage in the aircraft's hold as at altitude unless the plane is carrying livestock the hold is not heated and insulin may be ruined by the cold temperatures there.

martinsoton

the aircraft's hold as at altitude unless the plane is carrying livestock the hold is not heated and insulin may be ruined by the cold temperatures there
good point, i did not think of that. I have got my GP wirting me a note and ill grap my perscription back from my pharmasist and hopefully that will be enough, thanks for your help everyone

Martin