Food advice

bri281295

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a newly diagnosed type 1 and it would be nice to find out what foods affect you and what foods don't, any low carb recipes etc

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its all trial and error, as everything else with diabetes lol. Even a zero carb meal with alot of protein can cause a rise in levels. How much? All depends on the person, activity, heat etc. there are some good low carb recipes on here and sure others will reply with some to you.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

GetUnconscious

The hardest part is hidden sugars. They can be in the weirdest things. Tomato ketchup will send my levels skyrocketing! Always check the nutritional information on everything you buy and look for things with a low carb (specifically sugars) percentage. Eventually it should be instinctive. If you can cut refined sugars out of your diet then do. It will make you feel so much healthier and more stable.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As Brett said it totally depends on you and your body.

All foods seem to have some kind of effect on me. No freebies here :-(

if you are looking to do low carb you need to consider the protein in your meal too. It causes a slower rise in blood sugar levels so may spike your sugars after 2 or so hours.

GetUnconscious

Patch13 said:

if you are looking to do low carb you need to consider the protein in your meal too. It causes a slower rise in blood sugar levels so may spike your sugars after 2 or so hours.

It really depends on how much you exercise, what kind of exercise you do and what your current muscle proportion is with regards to protein. Over eating protein can raise glucose production but I think that this is pretty hard for most people to do. It's pretty much proven that high carb diets build bulk while high protein diets cut muscle.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GetUnconscious said:
Patch13 said:

It really depends on how much you exercise, what kind of exercise you do and what your current muscle proportion is with regards to protein. Over eating protein can raise glucose production but I think that this is pretty hard for most people to do. It's pretty much proven that high carb diets build bulk while high protein diets cut muscle.

It doesn't matter how much exercise I do I still need to take insulin to cover my protein when I eat low carb. If I didn't my sugar would be very high after a couple of hours.

Dr bernsteins diabetes solution discusses this.

GetUnconscious

It's crazy that you say that because when I run at the gym I HAVE to drink a whole bottle of lucozade to make sure I don't have a hypo. Today I went hypo without even injecting any fast acting insulin. I guess it varies between individuals but no matter how much lean protein I eat my sugar won't peak.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GetUnconscious said:
It's crazy that you say that because when I run at the gym I HAVE to drink a whole bottle of lucozade to make sure I don't have a hypo. Today I went hypo without even injecting any fast acting insulin. I guess it varies between individuals but no matter how much lean protein I eat my sugar won't peak.

I used to drink lucozade when running and I would have the same problem - often despite drinking an entire bottle and only running for 30 mins and turning my pump down my sugar would get low. I also never used to consider the protein I ate. However now I'm low carb I can run for 30 mins without drinking lucozade and I very rarely go low. But now I have to bolus for protein and carbs!