Food Banks

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
Just been watching the news where they were talking about the state of the economy and how many people are having to use food banks. They also discussed what was given out in the food parcels. It showed tins of meat and fish, long life milk, juice, dried foods-potatoes, noodles etc, and sugar got mentioned twice as an essential. :shock: Hope to god there are no desperate diabetics out there. Problem is that all the dirt cheap, yet filling foods such as bread, potatoes, rice, buitcuits and such like are the cheapest. Hmmm gonna be more diabetics to deal with soon. :crazy:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It really is tragic to watch. And the governments response is Well there would be more people using them, they are opening more.
Short term policies. Its the children who will suffer eating junk that fills you up.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I'm sure if people are that desperate that they need to use a food bank, they won't be able to pick and choose what is 'good food' for diabetics!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
And your point is Sarah?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is tragic that more and more people are now dependant on food banks, the choice for a lot of people on low incomes is to turn the heating on or put food on the table, to have both would mean they fall into debt which they can ill-afford to do.

The greed shown by the energy giants in hiking up energy bills by 10% when wholesale costs are rising by just under 2% is disgraceful and doesn't help matters, worst still is that we have consecutive governments who standby and let them get away with it :thumbdown:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have contributed to food banks and all they want is tins and jars. What I'm sure would be helpful is to include cooking lessons. If you know how to cook, you can produce healthy meals for much less money than if you eat ready food.
hana

Morganator

I agree Hana, my Mum taught me how to cook proper meals with cheap ingredients and I've passed this on to my sons.
When my oldest left home I bought him a pressure cooker and spice collection both of which are still well used :)
Basic cookery should be compulsery at school, once you know the basics all you need is a bit of imagination.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Please read thread 'end of the road, help is needed by a member....hope you don't mind me saying, but our help is needed....

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What you have to remember also is that some people are taking stuff back because they can't afford to put the cooker on, it's heat or eat.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
dawnmc said:
And your point is Sarah?

My point was the OP talking about the type of food that you get at food banks!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes its tragic, but by eating spuds, having sugar etc does not cause diabetes, this point would be relevant though to a low carber diabetic using food banks, even then, being there in the first place don't think anyone could be over picky.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say that if I couldn't afford to buy food I'd be willing to eat whatever was on offer, low carber (normally) or not. If you've reached that point in whatever circumstance then there aren't many options.

jumbleannie1VDJQ

Dislikes
Intolerance, airports, having to plan my meals
I'm not saying that I wouldn't use food banks if I was so desperate, but that it's a shame on this, "rich" country of ours that they are needed..

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
And that was my point exactly, its ridiculous that they are needed. But its the world we live in now. And its not nice.