Food Confusion

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
having to take medication
My Girlfriend and I are confused about exactly what kind of rice she can cook for me and what type of bread is suitable to eat, obviously in small amounts. So much of what we are being told is either confusing or conflicting. Also what kind of cereal is acceptable?

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and saw the nurse today which was no help what so ever as the booklets and information she gave were hard to believe. An example being, the doctor has prescribed metformin 500mg twice daily. In one sentence she told me to cut it down to 500mg once daily to stop the upset stomach side effect. In the next breath, she was telling me I should only eat green bananas as ripe bananas continue large amounts of natural sugars. As far as I'm aware eating green bananas will cause an upset stomach.

I've decided to go on a low carbs diet but have no idea on potion sizes etc. We seem to be drowning in conflicting information so any help would be appreciated.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to get a meter to test your BG.

Cauliflower rice is popular in the LC community, you could try that.

Why is our girlfriend cooking for you?

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You need to get a meter to test your BG.

Cauliflower rice is popular in the LC community, you could try that.

Why is our girlfriend cooking for you?

I don't know why 'our' girlfriend is cooking for me but I know why 'my' girlfriend is cooking for me and that's because she's banned me from the kitchen for and I quote 'you have been naturally gifted with the ability to burn water'.

Reactions: 7 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2 diet controlled and the only way I can eat rice or pasta is by cooking it, letting it cool and then reheating it. I have tested this often and now know what size portion is best for me but the only way for you to find out how they affect you is by testing. In addition bananas are very high in carbs so may be best to avoid until you can test their affect (although some diabetics can eat them) but you may be OK with berries and the odd apple or pear.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya. If you're planning to go low-carb there's a good reference book called Cals & Carbs (Amazon). It tells you how many carbs are in everyday food and combinations of foods. In food shops check the overall carb levels and ignore the "of which sugars" bit.
Don't worry about portion sizes to start with but remember that if you cut carbs you must increase fat. Eating fat in this case doesn't make you fat.
Lots of other stuff to learn so I'll ask @daisy1 to give you some info.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would avoid the bananas or have an occasional treat. Yes, over-ripe can be very high-GI. If the Metformin problem continues then do ask for the SR (Slow Release) version. You need to set yourself a daily carb target and use food packing to guide you on what is in each portion. You might want to set 150gm/day as a max target to start with? All bread, cereals etc are carb foods so go for sensible portion sizes, minimal added sugar and wholegrain bread.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@RYU

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful in choosing foods, and especially low carb foods. Ask more questions and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definately do some research into LCHF as it is a great way to eat. Its great that your girlfriend is taking the reins and is willing to help you get on track. You will find there is a low carb alternative for almost everything. I found most of my LC recipes on Pinterest.

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for all the information. It's been really helpful. I think shes going slightly overboard but apparently she's allowed to. shes decided that bread brought from a shop probably wouldn't be healthy enough - she seems to think that I'm going to kick the bucket at any minute, it's sweet but hopefully she'll calm down soon - so she's decided the next step is a bread marker so she can make bread with almond flour or some other replacement flour. Any suggestions for a replacement flour and/or a bread maker.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use mostly almond flour but coconut flour is also very popular. She sounds like a real darling and at.least you know how.much she cares about you and your health.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use mostly almond flour but coconut flour is also very popular. She sounds like a real darling and at.least you know how.much she cares about you and your health.
You might want to look up the amount of carbs in coconut flour, I did and I was shocked, it varies depending on where you look but most places seem to say about 60g per 100g whereas almond flour is around 7g per 100g. This really surprised me as I honestly thought coconut flour was low carb.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know of any recipes for what I'd call proper bread. I used to make bread in a machine with spelt flour, yeast, oil and no salt or sugar but it was no good for me. My almond flour and flax loaf looks and feels like a brick and costs about £4 :( but it's satisfying and can be toasted or fried. I add rosemary. You can put cheese in but I find cheddar loses its flavour when cooked and is better added APOE (at point of eating. I just made that up.)
Any improvement on size/cost will be gratefully adopted.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I wouldn't buy a bread maker though. They are expensive to run, and the bread or not that you may be able to eat won't need a bread machine.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is actually a really nice almond and flaxmeal bread recipe on the net which is very low carb per slice and it tastes a lot like the exspensive bergen bread we get here. and you just bake it in a normal loaf.tin. When.I googled low carb bread the best site I found was Authority Nutrition, they have a page '15 bread recipes that are low carb and gluten free'. I have tried quite a few of the recipes on this particular webpage. Just remember when she does make you some low carb bread it can be an acquired taste but you do get used to it.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bergen bread is found now in a lot of shops and supermarkets, it is especially nice toasted.
You should find it in Iceland for a quid or your local co-op!
9-11 carbs per slice!

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
When doctors and nurses prescribe metformin they are supposed to tell you to start with one tablet a day for 4 days to a week, then increase to two tablets a day if you aren't getting bad side effects. About 25-50% of people get the stomach problems. They may improve after a couple of weeks or you may need to try the slow release version. If the slow release version doesn't help then you may want to discuss with your nurse whether the side effects are worth staying on it. It's a useful drug but if your body doesn't tolerate it then you can still manage diabetes without it.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @RYU I can have wholemeal rice in small portions with out it spiking me (but I am type 1 not 2) you should try Cauli rice though - or in Tesco you can get 'Cauli cous cous' - it's the same thing but they are just trying to be fancy, it's in the prepared veg section, it's dead handy if you don't feel like whacking a Cauli to death yourself!
Try the high protein rolls in Lidl's bakery section for something that tastes really good for bread, it's a bun rather than bread but they are so nice and a very small amount of carbs for the size of them!
Cereal is a no for me, it's just like a bowl of sugar, what about some eggs on a morning, boiled/omelette etc
The low carb section on here is great, also Pinterest is great for low carb recipes and ideas, hope that helps,

Abbie

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
just a couple of minor thoughts. Search "oopsie" (without the quotes), and also read THE BOOK, Reverse Your Diabetes by Dr David Cavan. I got it from Amazon but I believe the Shop here has it

RYU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bergen bread is found now in a lot of shops and supermarkets, it is especially nice toasted.
You should find it in Iceland for a quid or your local co-op!
9-11 carbs per slice!

Got a friend checking on her way to work for me tomorrow as she walks past an Icelands every day.

When doctors and nurses prescribe metformin they are supposed to tell you to start with one tablet a day for 4 days to a week, then increase to two tablets a day if you aren't getting bad side effects. .

The doctor told me two tablets twice a day as directed. Fair enough the diabetes nurses told me to cut it down to one tablet if I got an upset stomach but she also told me I should be eating a medium sized green banana once a day. I was always told a green banana causes an upset stomach so it's all much of a muchness.

Hi @RYU I can have wholemeal rice in small portions with out it spiking me (but I am type 1 not 2) you should try Cauli rice though - or in Tesco you can get 'Cauli cous cous

Is cauli short for cauliflower?

Hi @RYUTry the high protein rolls in Lidl's bakery section for something that tastes really good for bread, it's a bun rather than bread but they are so nice and a very small amount of carbs for the size of them!

Have tried, but local Lidls is constantly sold out.

The only breakfast cereal I can stand is malt Wheaties and then only occasionally. Normally, and I know I shouldn't, I'll eat one main meal about 6-7pm and maybe just fill up on water or tea during the day. I know I shouldn't but I figure I'm overweight by a couple of stone (at the most) I can do with losing the weight and hey, I'm only recently diagnosed so if I can get away with it while I can I will. I hate eating full meals they make me feel sick.

Yeah, my GF has spent a lot of time looking for low carb recipes which isn't something I've every bothered with to be honest my normal diet goes;

Am I baking for someone else?

Yes

Make it tasty and look nice.

Am I making something for myself?

Yes

Make it quick and if it comes out the can so much the better.

Or

Is the GF cooking?

Yes

It's guaranteed to be great. Keep quiet and eat (GF''s father taught her how to cook English and Italian dishes. He's a professional chef and her mum taught her Chinese dishes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alberti

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes & Ex wife
My Girlfriend and I are confused about exactly what kind of rice she can cook for me and what type of bread is suitable to eat, obviously in small amounts. So much of what we are being told is either confusing or conflicting. Also what kind of cereal is acceptable?

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and saw the nurse today which was no help what so ever as the booklets and information she gave were hard to believe. An example being, the doctor has prescribed metformin 500mg twice daily. In one sentence she told me to cut it down to 500mg once daily to stop the upset stomach side effect. In the next breath, she was telling me I should only eat green bananas as ripe bananas continue large amounts of natural sugars. As far as I'm aware eating green bananas will cause an upset stomach.

I've decided to go on a low carbs diet but have no idea on potion sizes etc. We seem to be drowning in conflicting information so any help would be appreciated.
Use to eat a lot of rice. Replaced it with Cauliflower. Grating the Cauliflower, mixed with one egg and bake it for awhile. Sometimes mix it with Grated Broccoli. Actually very tasty . Good healthy low carb replacement for rice