Food course.

bopeep12300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've had diabetes since November. At first I was really confused. But with the help of this group I'm now managing fine. I've lost weight & now know what foods to eat or avoid etc. I feel really well in myself & loads of people have commenting how well I am looking.
I've been booked onto this food course to learn about foods & managing the diabetes etc.
Thing is, I'm not really sure if I really need to attend now or not.
Like I said I've been managing fine, so what's the point four months after initial diagnosis? If it was near the beginning I could see the point, but not now?
Just wondered what others think?
Thanks.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me I wouldn't do the course unless I was convinced it was being given by someone who was up-to-date and had done their own detailed research. There are many diet experts around who haven't a clue. My local gym gives really good advice in line with the type of advice given on this website, but it's rare

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you believe you know everything, the course is a waste of their time, and yours.
If you think you don't know everything yet, go with an open mind.

It was nearly a year before I went on mine.
Some of the stuff they said I took on board, some didn't apply to me.
I picked up the low GI, the healthy food, the low fat.
Based on that, and my nhs dietician, I reduced my bs, then I also had the start to a diet which helped me lose 4 stone

But that was my course, yours could be different.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've had diabetes since November. At first I was really confused. But with the help of this group I'm now managing fine. I've lost weight & now know what foods to eat or avoid etc. I feel really well in myself & loads of people have commenting how well I am looking.
I've been booked onto this food course to learn about foods & managing the diabetes etc.
Like I said I've been managing fine, so what's the point four months after initial diagnosis? If it was near the beginning I could see the point, but not now?
Thanks.
Looks good to me! Have you got a bg monitor to confirm things are going well bg-wise? Recent HbA1c test? If so, stay away.

sagarg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks.
Hello,
What do mean what other think? They ain't have any objection for being diabetic you are. And taking care of yourself is make you healthy and and confident....

Karbstruck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
injustice
My attitude is to accept any help that is offered. Even if you learn one helpful tip it could be worthwhile. It could be interesting to contrast their information with what you have learned here. If you think what they say is unhelpful, you could always have a bit of fun by asking 'innocent' type questions about whether carbs raise blood sugars. It can be fun to stir things up a bit and it might raise awareness of this in others who attend the course.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Go - you never know what you mind find or learn to your benefit. It was also nice to meet with other duabetics for the first time and hear their stories. Even if I was the youngest.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
I've just done the DESMOND course - 2x Saturday mornings - last week and today. I must say that, after finding these forums I wasn't sure if it would be for me, as it's NHS advice, which differs to the LCHF approach adopted successfully by lots of folk on here (including me since diagnosis). Last week was quite dry - basic stuff but I did end up calling 999 and asking for a blue light ambulance when an elderly gentleman dropped to the floor like a stone 15 minutes before the end! He turned up today and is ok apparently. Today was a bit more interesting, but I had to bite my lip and sit on my hands a few times, like when BG monitors were mentioned and only two of us were using them and we were told it was unnecessary, even when I tried to explain about experimenting with portion sizes and recipes and wanting to know how certain foods affect my body without waiting 12 wks for my next HbA1c test. Also when fats were discussed and we were told that processed butter type 'spreads' were perfectly fine as they contain all three types of fats. There was only one other person on the same wave length as me and some folk (more elderly) who, even at the end didn't look like they'd understood anything at all.
All in all I've ticked the GP box and attended and did pick up a couple of nice cakes for my hubby as there was a cake sale in the foyer at coffee time! (In aid of south west flood victims - it was a church centre)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App