"food" for thought

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I think people don't actually want to think where their food comes from, they have an idea but don't want to pursue all that stuff.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
agreed and i think I'm also guilty of the same :( whilst saying how much i love animals

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think the general public would want to pay the sort of prices necessary to get rid of factory farming, that's why they turn a blind eye. Everything nowadays is about money. My Dad was a farmer and would never have allowed pigs and cattle to live in such cramped conditions. He believed animals deserved a good life. He obviously didn't care quite so much about hens! We had battery hens as well as some free range. However, I used to get upset when I saw programmes on TV saying how battery hens couldn't walk or fly.......the people who made those programmes should have tried catching them when they occasionally escaped. I'm not condoning the use of cages, we just didn't know any better back in the sixties. I was glad when a ban was introduced.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We farmed until last year and we went without so our cows had the best feed etc. Sadly, people all any they want higher welfare standards but they are so used to the cheap prices in supermarkets that what has happened in UK is that welfare has improved entirely at farmers' cost and supermarkets continue to abuse their power so that hundreds and thousands of farmers have gone out of business. Only when people see that you can't have cheap food and good welfare will things change. I tried to buy junior some chicken nuggets from Asda other day and put them back as they came from Thailland and I'm not convinced that welfare there of man or beast is high on agenda. Just recently been reading about the thai prawn industry being based on slavery. Big business will export manufacture to wherever is cheapest, and that includes our food. All very worrying.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I saw a programme at 3am in morning over weekend about food... It was amazing at the facts it was giving about the vitamins and minerals in veg these days compared to after WW1.

I'm glad we eat so much home grown foods, but is that the answer? Is it the chemicals sprayed on crops nowadays or the actual seeds that's killing off nutrients?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App