Food for Type 2 Diabetes – Nutrition Mythbusters

carlreid

Myth #1: Carbohydrates are bad for you.

All carbohydrates aren’t alike. Easily digested carbohydrates, such as those from white bread and white rice, if eaten often and in large quantities, may add to weight gain. But carbohydrates are also found in fruits, vegetables, beans, and dairy products; and these deliver essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Diabetes carbohydrates also give your body energy and help keep organs functioning properly.

A system called the glycemic index measures how fast and how far blood sugar rises after you eat a food with carbohydrates. White rice, for example, is almost immediately converted to blood sugar (glucose), causing it to rise rapidly, and so has a high glycemic index. Whole grain bread is digested more slowly, making blood sugar climb more slowly and not as high. It has a low glycemic index. Whenever possible, select carbohydrates that is whole grain, such as whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, and old fashioned oats.

Myth #2. Vegetables mainly add fiber to your diabetic diet foods.

Vegetables are excellent sources of fiber and they supply vitamins and minerals, with very few calories. Orange vegetables like carrots, and dark leafy greens, such as spinach and collards, are good sources of vitamin A, an important nutrient to keep your eyesight keen, your skin healthy, and your immune system strong. Broccoli, pepper, and tomatoes are full of vitamin C, which promotes healing and keeps keep ligaments, tendons, and gums healthy. And beans and lentils supply potassium, which enables the body to convert blood sugar into glycogen, a stored form of energy that’s held in reserve by the muscles and liver.

Myth #3: To get calcium in your diabetic diet, you have to consume dairy products.

Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, which is important for building and protecting bones, Calcium Sources but they’re not the only sources of this mineral. Today, many foods are fortified with calcium, including orange juice, soy milk, breads, and cereals. Other nondairy sources of calcium are canned salmon and sardines with bones, collard greens, broccoli, and almonds. If you find it difficult to get enough calcium from your diet, you can also take calcium and glucose supplements.

Myth #4: Meat, chicken, and fish are the best sources of protein.

Foods with protein help your body build muscle and tissue, and provide diabetes vitamins and minerals. Animal sources—meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products–have what’s called complete protein, that is, they contain all the amino acids needed to build new proteins. Proteins from fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts are called incomplete proteins—they’re missing one or more amino acids. But animal sources of protein have their drawbacks: red meat and poultry skin are high in fat, especially saturated fat (a healthy diabetic diet plan should have less than 10% of calories from saturated fat). If you eat meat, stick to lean cuts, chicken with the skin removed, and fish. If you want to try vegetable sources of protein, try beans, nuts, and whole grains.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm sorry but I don't agree with your Myth #1. In general carbs are a problem for diabetics as we have a problem in managing the glucose they produce in the way that 'normal' people can. Carbs are in fact not essential for anyone as fats and proteins can actually produce the glucose the body needs via the liver and a process called ketosis. As diabetics are to varying extents intolerant of carbs the quantity needs to be kept under control and as you say, should be low-GI whenever possible.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont agree with this bit

especially saturated fat (a healthy diabetic diet plan should have less than 10% of calories from saturated fat).

and would like to know your source for this one.

I have switched to using butter, lard, naturally occurring animal fat, full fat cheese and olive oils and my HDL (good cholesterol) has gone up, my LDL (bad) cholesterol has gone down, and I have lost 2 stones.

Unfortunately, some medical journals have confused artificial hydrogenated fats with naturally produced fats and lumped them all under harmful saturated fats.

Finzi

I find it quite ironic that a post that is intended to debunk "myths" is just full of myths itself. The two worst being the ones already highlighted - that carbs are good, and that saturated fats are bad.

Sorry OP - If we wanted to be fed this sort of secondhand stuff, we could just listen to the outdated NHS advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not going to get into the rest of it but the section on GI is wrong in places
A system called the glycemic index measures how fast and how far blood sugar rises after you eat a food with carbohydrates. White rice, for example, is almost immediately converted to blood sugar (glucose), causing it to rise rapidly, and so has a high glycemic index. Whole grain bread is digested more slowly, making blood sugar climb more slowly and not as high. It has a low glycemic index. .

Wholemeal bread often has as GI as high as white bread. However, sourdough white bread will often be lower GI than wholemeal . Lower GI breads are usually grainy breads, preferably from mixed cereals (barley and rye are usually lower than wheat) .
Similarly with rice, white rice such as Jasmine has a GI higher than glucose but others have a much lower GI than sugar. This is either because of the type of starch in the rice. (as in Doongara and to a lesser extent Basmati) or because of a type of processing (converted rice)
The GI can be a useful tool but not if it is misrepresented.

Can I point out that the OP has posted one post asking for the symptoms of diabetes but 2 which are cut and paste jobs from the internet.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
phoenix said:
Can I point out that the OP has posted one post asking for the symptoms of diabetes but 2 which are cut and paste jobs from the internet.

There were no replies to OP's other posts so I suppose he got more controversial.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And guess what.. vinegar is natures secret weapon.

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

sassywriter43

carlreid said:
Myth #1: Carbohydrates are bad for you.

All carbohydrates aren’t alike. Easily digested carbohydrates, such as those from white bread and white rice, if eaten often and in large quantities, may add to weight gain. But carbohydrates are also found in fruits, vegetables, beans, and dairy products; and these deliver essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Diabetes carbohydrates also give your body energy and help keep organs functioning properly.

A system called the glycemic index measures how fast and how far blood sugar rises after you eat a food with carbohydrates. White rice, for example, is almost immediately converted to blood sugar (glucose), causing it to rise rapidly, and so has a high glycemic index. Whole grain bread is digested more slowly, making blood sugar climb more slowly and not as high. It has a low glycemic index. Whenever possible, select carbohydrates that is whole grain, such as whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, and old fashioned oats.

I don't eat any fruits apart from a few berries when in season. I don't have any dairy products either because they poison my system. I cannot eat any Wheat, Yeast or gluten - so for me high GI foods or low GI food I just stay away completely, it is a lot easier. So I just don't eat bread, rice or pasta brown or white.

Myth #2. Vegetables mainly add fiber to your diabetic diet foods.

Vegetables are excellent sources of fiber and they supply vitamins and minerals, with very few calories. Orange vegetables like carrots, and dark leafy greens, such as spinach and collards, are good sources of vitamin A, an important nutrient to keep your eyesight keen, your skin healthy, and your immune system strong. Broccoli, pepper, and tomatoes are full of vitamin C, which promotes healing and keeps keep ligaments, tendons, and gums healthy. And beans and lentils supply potassium, which enables the body to convert blood sugar into glycogen, a stored form of energy that’s held in reserve by the muscles and liver.
Carrots don't touch. Spinach in very small portions. Peppers and Tomatoes are part of the Nightshade family so I have a problem with these. Lentils are full of carbohydrates and seeming as I am a recovering anorexic I do not test my blood glucose, I am not willing to risk these thank you.

Myth #3: To get calcium in your diabetic diet, you have to consume dairy products.

Milk, yogurt, and cheese are rich in calcium, which is important for building and protecting bones, Calcium Sources but they’re not the only sources of this mineral. Today, many foods are fortified with calcium, including orange juice, soy milk, breads, and cereals. Other nondairy sources of calcium are canned salmon and sardines with bones, collard greens, broccoli, and almonds. If you find it difficult to get enough calcium from your diet, you can also take calcium and glucose supplements.
Citrus intolerant - so don't touch Orange juice. Soy milk YUCK!!! don't like white stuff. Allergic to nuts. Cereals full of carbohydrates as well.

Myth #4: Meat, chicken, and fish are the best sources of protein.

Foods with protein help your body build muscle and tissue, and provide diabetes vitamins and minerals. Animal sources—meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products–have what’s called complete protein, that is, they contain all the amino acids needed to build new proteins. Proteins from fruits, vegetables, grains, and nuts are called incomplete proteins—they’re missing one or more amino acids. But animal sources of protein have their drawbacks: red meat and poultry skin are high in fat, especially saturated fat (a healthy diabetic diet plan should have less than 10% of calories from saturated fat). If you eat meat, stick to lean cuts, chicken with the skin removed, and fish. If you want to try vegetable sources of protein, try beans, nuts, and whole grains.

I shall stick to my diet thanks which is mainly fresh air.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not all venom is bad (tomatoes and nightshade).
They're injecting bee sting into people with lower chronic back pain.
Toms are also wonderful and so good for you in many ways, they also are anti carciogenic, so as a type 2 I'll carry on..
Sassy, thankyou for making me smile "fresh air" lol:lol:

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

sassywriter43

I have food allergies, which were confirmed, but I am so glad I made you smile. You should have seen the list. I also have ME, and very severe Multi chemical sensitivity. I used to love tomatoes, so I cried when they said I have to avoid these. Tom soup was my favourite when I was ill.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Patch said:
Worst post ever, carlreid. Don't come back.

I dont think there is any justification for this post Pat, you may not agree with parts of the op's post or any of it but that does not give you any right to be aggressive and tell a member here not to come back.

Perhaps you should take your own advice as I think your post is the worst I've ever read.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Carlreid
you obviously don't understand what a carbohydrate is.
Carbohydrates are a group of organic molecules which are mainly the sugars and starches, with plant fibres being an indigestible form. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of molecules which fit into his group. Some can be drawn in text-books, but not be found in nature. If you look at all the possible forms of "fibre", the list becomes nearly infinite. If you consider those stereo isomers which are not biologically active, the list gets longer.
A parsnip is NOT a CARB, it's a root vegetable containing starch. Bread is not a carb [neither white nor wholemeal] It's a heavily processed food which contains starch and in wholemeal bread, some cellulose as well.
The imprecise use of the word "carbohydrate" is what causes confusion along with the lamentable lack of knowledge of simple chemistry in the general population.[and the medical profssions!]
The Glycaemic Index may have its uses, but is far from being the whole answer to blood glucose problems. It merely tells you how quickly you digest and metabolise a standard sized portion of that particular food in its pure form. It DOES NOT tell you how much glucose you eventually produce from any other sized portion. That bit of information depends as much on how much you ate.
Hana