Food Insenstivities

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi all

I have been so pleased that I have been enjoying the food on the low carb high fat diet and thought finally a diet that suits me and then wham! I now have horrid eczema on the hands which I think is the dairy.

I am waiting for a rasp test to come back after testing me for nut allergies so I am getting to the point where I am running out of this to eat

Does anyone else have a dairy intolerance?

How do you manage if so?

Xx

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Yes, I am whey intolerant. So I avoid milk and anything with whey in it, like those protein shakes. I am fine with most cheeses, cream and butter.

Mr B is lactose intolerant, so he uses lacto free milk and limits his cheese or he gets eczema. He seems fine on butter and cream. Also fine on goat and sheep yoghurt and cheese.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can only eat full fat yoghurt in the dairy aisle and that's only since Brun recommended it!

Mozzarella on a pizza is not to bad, but only a slice (or two!)

Everything else is off the table.
I can't abide the taste of butter or margarine, it comes straight back up. Projectile vomiting it's called.
Cold cheese is yuk! Horrible!
I used to eat cream as a kid especially on cakes, but now, it tastes worse than !#?/-£@!!!!!!!
Even buttermilk turns my stomach.
Can't abide some biscuits, when I could have them!
Cakes that have a buttery taste (not that I have a cake for a couple of years!) Is awful!
I do have to be careful, but even with all this, I am not lactose intolerant!
Good job really as my pills contain lactose especially my piriton!

It does run in the family, this aversion to dairy!

I use to hate it when someone would say 'well what do you have on your butties?'
They always looked at me as though I was weird! (Funny that!) When I said, 'nothing!'

Reactions: 2 people

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Funny isn't it how dairy can do so much damage. I seem ok with the yoghurt but cream seems to make my eczema flair up!

Jey

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Linagirl is your eczima itchy? And has it like spots? I had befor eczima on my hands and after my hands I got it on my legs! In my case I don't think it is food related! I think! What helped me was warm water with sea salt, use a face cloth and put it on your hands. Repeat that several times. Hope it get better soon

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Yes Jey just like that. I normally get it when stressed. I'll try it thanks x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes Jey just like that. I normally get it when stressed. I'll try it thanks x
Sea salt in warm bath helps.
Or Epsom salts. Then moisturise with unperfumed emollient such as E45, or Doublebase.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi,

Yes, I am whey intolerant. So I avoid milk and anything with whey in it, like those protein shakes. I am fine with most cheeses, cream and butter.

Mr B is lactose intolerant, so he uses lacto free milk and limits his cheese or he gets eczema. He seems fine on butter and cream. Also fine on goat and sheep yoghurt and cheese.

Thanks Brun that interesting.

I have cut milk out more or less as I am drinking herbal tea more now. I seem fine on yoghurt but I think cheese affects me.

I'll see if I can follow a similar pattern and see what happens.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did you find out what your intolerances were Brun? Xx

Milk has always given me a reaction. Milk in tea makes me yawn, a glass of milk makes me feel brain dead. When i went very low carb, i cut any milk, but kept in the cream, butter and cheese - and didn't have a problem. So it was really a process of elimination.

Mr B's skin got far, far worse when he went low carb, and upped his cheese intake. So we tried lactofree for him. That helped. So again, it was elimination... Mind you, persuading him that cheese and dairy were a problem for him took 2 years. He was incredibly resistant to the idea. He still resents it massively. But he also hates the itching, so it keeps him on the straight and narrow.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm very similar to Brun regarding milk!
I get an awareness that lactose is present when above a certain amount is ingested.
I really do have to be careful what I put in my mouth with dairy and can only have about five teaspoons of full fat yoghurt at one serving!
Whether it is the lactose, the sugar part or anything bio cultural within that sets me off!
I don't know, but, when you think what goes into cows these days and what the milk they do to afterwards to make it fit for human consumption!
The amount of of drugs and food the cows are given, is it any wonder why we suffer from dairy tolerance!