1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Foods for T1 with upset stomach and diarrhoea and vomiting - help

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by O_DP_T1, Sep 20, 2017.

1. O_DP_T1

O_DP_T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Guys,

I seem to have picked up a stomach bug over the last 24hrs, I've had chronic diarrhoea and vomiting and my stomach really hurts, at the moment I'm not eating much but what are T1 friendly foods that one can eat whist this clears, advice has been things like simple rice, bananas, brown bread etc and as we know these items will cause carnage on the blood sugars so are there any low carb alternatives????

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

If you've an upset stomach, you're better fasting for 24-48hrs than trying to eat anything to give it a chance to calm down. I'd certainly be checking glucose levels regularly, and have coke on hand in case of need to top up (which is probably unlikely give the way these things usually raise glucose levels).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As @tim2000s says you are better to fast for 24 hours so it clears your system. Have some boiled water to sip so you don't become dehydrated.

4. O_DP_T1

tbh I was getting a bit fed up of praying to the porcelain god so I've taken some imodium and hoping for the best

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @O_DP_T1 Poor you - hope you feel better soon. Personally if it was me and I needed to eat something then I would opt for toast, so nothing too taxing on the tum, but best to keep hydrated and monitor carefully, hopefully it's a 24 hour bug so will pass soon.

6. O_DP_T1

Cheers guys, yep I'm scanning like every half hour or so (thank god for the libre). I'm on the toast and soup at the moment had a low in the morning so had to have a couple of glasses of orange juice which didn't help, hopefully it'll pass soon. Also on the pre-mixed insulin it's not always possible to do a correction dose!!!! Double the pain in the backside literarily!!!!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #6 O_DP_T1, Sep 20, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  7. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find sugared tea more palatable than orange juice for a low when recovering from any illness.

8. TheBigNewt

TheBigNewt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It will usually pass in a day or 2. People attribute it to a "bug" or "the flu" but it's almost always an ingested toxin from food. The influenza virus doesn't affect the GI tract. It causes fever and respiratory symptoms. Good luck and get well soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Imodium Instants work a treat. But... with me it takes a while to get things moving again!

10. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

11. Diabeticliberty

Diabeticliberty · Guest

With the greatest of respect perhaps forgo worrying about the carbohydrate values for now. Just concentrate on trying to keep something down. It might also be an idea to try some electrolyte supplements as you may lose salts if you dehydrate. I hope it clears up sharpish. It's bad enough for anybody to be the way you currently seem but as diabetics it can get complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Indiana91

Indiana91 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope you feel better soon!

I tend to not eat at all when I'm poorly and sip on flat full fat Coke if I'm having a low.

Don't know what insulin you're on but if you're on basal bolus don't forget to keep taking your basal.

Indiana x

13. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, get well soon!

14. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you think you have a tummy bug or have eaten something dodgy then it's best not to take Immodium.. horrible as it is, the bad stuff needs to come out. Try to stay hydrated and keep an eye on your BG.

15. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

How are you feeling today @O_DP_T1?

16. maria030660

maria030660 · Well-Known Member

A little bit of broth helps for me..hope you feel better soon

17. O_DP_T1

Cheers guys generally better now thanks, food intake is returning back to normal slowly and I'm back at work. Occasionally getting the odd unexpected high BS spike probably due to virus not completely gone.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook