Foods that you thought would spike you surprisingly dont

alliebee

After a post last night when I told that strangely breaded youngs fish fillets don't spike me. Yet a fish finger will. I thought it would be fun to start a thread to ask what foods that you would expect a spike somehow doesn't.....
Ie some people can get away with battered fish from the chippy. ( sorry all those who can't) lol

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I haven't done a specific test, but if I have a few nachos with a low carb Mexican meal I seem to get away with it.

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I often wonder when folk say certain "bad" foods don't spike them if they actually test them properly, ie. at more frequent intervals than 2 hours. I truly believe it is necessary to test a bad food at least at 1hr. 1.5hrs. 2hrs. 2.5hrs and 3hrs before we can say it doesn't spike us.

As for a chippy fish, which I always have with mushy peas, it doesn't spike me above 1.5mmol/l at any time, but it does take up to 3 hours to come back down again.

Reactions: 10 people

alliebee

Good point Bluetit. I've done this with chippy fish and rissotto. A great love..if its buttery creamy cheesy one and I'm fine....but basmati brown or white. God I'm in the teens. So strange.. I keep a notebook of foods and readings now

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be ok with small portions of chips and roast spuds but I don't push my luck as more carbs makes me want even more carbs. Bread seems the worst thing even rye bread sends me higher than I like to see and given it makes me feel rubbish in so many ways, is no great loss when I have my sensible head on. When I want a white plastic bread bacon sandwich it's a different matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A great love..if its buttery creamy cheesy one and I'm fine....but basmati brown or white.

Basmati rice, including brown, used to spike me too but I found that Morrisons Parboiled Brown Rice was OK. It has only 1/3rd of the calories too.

The 'brown' part of brown rice is fibre but it is probably due to the conversion of the starch in the rice to resistant starch that makes it suitable for diabetics.

I also find that boiling new potatoes, leaving them a little hard and then letting them go cold makes for a wonderful potato salad that hardly impacts my BG levels. Again, it is the conversion to resistant starch that makes the difference.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to be ok with small portions of chips and roast souds but I don't push my luck as more carbs makes me want even more carbs. Bread seems the worst thing even rye bread sends me higher than I like to see and given it makes me feel rubbish in so many wats, is no great loss when I have my sensible head on. When I want a white plastic bread bacon sandwich it's a different matter.
You just had to mention bacon buttys.. :eek:. I have now got to have one for lunch and blow my bg to hell.. :hungry:.
Funny but I'm okish with the chippy stuff.

alliebee

Another I've found is ok is. Home made popcorn! :)
Get kernals of corn. Heat oil. I use coconut. Pop on stove with lid after oil is very hot...pop. sprinkle with salt or garlic salt or chili salt and perhaps melted butter. No raise at 1/2 hour or 1 hr or onwards. Yum

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basmati rice, including brown, used to spike me too but I found that Morrisons Parboiled Brown Rice was OK. It has only 1/3rd of the calories too.

The 'brown' part of brown rice is fibre but it is probably due to the conversion of the starch in the rice to resistant starch that makes it suitable for diabetics.

I also find that boiling new potatoes, leaving them a little hard and then letting them go cold makes for a wonderful potato salad that hardly impacts my BG levels. Again, it is the conversion to resistant starch that makes the difference.

You might also find it called 'converted ' rice, particularly when branded in the US . If you look at the GI lists these products are really relatively low. The processing does indeed create more resistant starch but it does loose a proportion of the other nutrients http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parboiled_rice
Popcorn is also low GI (and is still whole grain, since nothing is taken away)

I don't eat risotto because for me it's a bit like pizza, a very high gi rice in a lot of fat. I would go hypo if I dosed for the rice and then it would send my glucose up a lot later on. (I don't like it enough to work out how to cope with it!)

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Ah. But I want your bs readings in 2 hours ???
If you want to know what foods cause spikes you really have to test every hour for at least the next 8 hours. I thought I was ok with rice until I established a pattern where I found it spiked me 6 hours after eating it.
A lot of people are lulling themselves into a false sense of security by testing once 2 hours after a meal and seeing no spike.

Reactions: 11 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first issue along these lines was in 2011 when I told my nurse that Tesco chicken kievs spiked me something orrid. She said with all the confidence of a nurse that is was the bread crumbs in the coating that did it. I came home and made kievs with real chicken and bread crumbs and they did not spike. I told DN that I didn't think the chicken in the Tesco ones was chicken and she said that was nonsense.

Now I know more about things made with minced chicken and bulking flour I no longer touch those kievs, or dippers, or nuggets, or goujon etc ......

The BBC took a film crew to Kiev and filmed inside a chicken factory. To make kievs you first mince your chicken.

I haven't tested fish fingers but they may be to fish as kievs are to chicken. Anyway, what part of a fish is finger shaped?

I then had the courage to try other things and I discovered that providing the meat was identifiable then I didn't have a problem. Having bones in it is a big help and, indeed, original recipe KFC is fine

So many of the things sold in packets are just made of flour and sugar. It's amazing the appetising things you can make with flour and sugar, including gravy.

Reactions: 13 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to know what foods cause spikes you really have to test every hour for at least the next 8 hours. I thought I was ok with rice until I established a pattern where I found it spiked me 6 hours after eating it.
A lot of people are lulling themselves into a false sense of security by testing once 2 hours after a meal and seeing no spike.

I completely agree. My biggest peaks are usually about 1hr 30 mins after my first bite and have dropped a bit by 2 hours to a level some might think acceptable. If they haven't tested earlier they would never know. It is always worth testing every 30 minutes when testing a new food.

Reactions: 8 people