Foot complications

mykey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

I was diagnosed type 1 in spring of this year. I'm beginning to get curious about possible complications of being type 1 as I'm becoming more settled with the condition.

It's my understanding that foot complications are a result of high blood sugar over a long period of time. However, I have a feeling I'm wrong to have such a simple out look on the matter. Because if I'm right, good blood sugar management should prevent any foot complications at all?

Once a good diet is in place and a solid insulin regime is implemented, keeping blood sugar between 4 and 8 seems quite easy and common for most people ( except for those random days where your body just seems to not take. But they are certainly short term )

In summary. If I manage my diabetes/blood sugar properly foot complications shouldn't really be an issue? Or is there more to it than that?

Also I understand this forum probably has this topic brought up a lot and I can and will search for these, but half of the reason for me starting this thread is to begin a dialog with other members on the subject.

Cheers

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Complications in general can be minimised by maintaining a good long term blood glucose with as low a level of oscillation as possible.

High blood glucose levels leads to cell damage, and blood glucose oscillation leads to oxidative stress which affects certain cells particularly badly, namely cardio vascular and retinal.

However, and there's always a big however with Diabetes. If your genetic predisposition is such, you may maintain a good blood glucose level and still end up with complications. Whilst Hba1C is a good predictor, it's not the be all and end all of outcomes.

slide027.gif

Maintaining a good level of blood glucose in the early days is relatively easy, however many find it less straightforward as they lose their own beta cells. There are a number of approaches that are used to do this including low carb, the Bernstein approach and others.

How easy is it to maintain a good bg level? Well according to the National Diabetes Audit, fewer than 7% maintain an Hba1C of <6.5%, which equates to an average blood glucose level of 7.7 mmol/l and only 27% manage to keep it below 7.5%, which equates to 9.3mmol/l.

NDA1.JPG

So while it might seem easy, far more people find it hard than easy. It's neither straightforward for many, nor simple.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's my understanding that foot complications are a result of high blood sugar over a long period of time. However, I have a feeling I'm wrong to have such a simple out look on the matter. Because if I'm right, good blood sugar management should prevent any foot complications at all?

Certainly good bg control will lesson the chances of complications occurring in the feet, but you also need to take sensible precautions like wearing the correct footwear, have your feet checked once a year and look out for cuts & blisters that might appear and go unnoticed.

There's some good information in the following on how you should care for your feet:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/Feet/