foot massager

cmunje

Hi,

My mom is diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes recently. As a christmas present I was going to give her a foot massager, as she had complains of sore feet after a day of work. Upon doing some research, it seems that there the general reviews on the internet advice - NOT to use a foot massager for a diabetic patient. How true is that? Anyone with similar experience or claims?
The product i'm on about is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/HoMedics-FM-TS9 ... t+massager

Looking forward to some advice as I am not sure how to go ahead from here.

Thanks and regards,
CMunje

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a general piece of advice all diabetics are told to look after their feet since they are often the first to go. Nerve damage might result in numbness. Numbness might mean undetected foot damage. Undetected foot damage might mean a lengthy healing process and a lengthy healing process might mean ulcers ............ and so on.

A bit of common sense is needed here. If a person has neuropathy then they could do all of the above if they are careless. If a person has aching feet when coming home from work they do not sound as if they have neuropathy and might enjoy a bit of foot massage.

Probably best to discuss it with her first and spoil the surprise/shock.

Manufacturers of foot massage machines have to mention it to cover themselves.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Hi,

I has a similar issue when I decided to buy a foot massager. I have poor circulation so I get cold feet. I thought it would help my circulation to get a massager.

This is the one I bought http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homedics-FM-S-T ... t+massager although with a bit of searching Im pretty sure I didn't pay that price. I love mine and wouldn't be without it.

Having said that, I believe that people with neuropathy may not be able to sense heat etc and therefore could in theory 'burn' their feet. I don't think the products get 'that' hot! :lol:

But maybe get one and get a gift receipt, that way if she doesn't like it you can change it, providing she doesn't use it first, of course! :D

lana42

I relly love and use Donnerberg massager as it is so versitile and can be used on any body part including feets. It is a great quality also and come with 7 years warranty

Reactions: Diet Lady