Foot questions

haptagud

Hi,

I'm a newly (6months) and currently diagnosed type 1, my doc says type 1 but I'm only using Lantus, my last H1AC was 4.9 and my endocrinologist is testing me for everything C-peptide, LADA, MODY etc. However, my question is concerning neuropathy and in-particularly of the feet. I'm relatively active 10-20 km and an hour or so of 5-a-side football a week (so they may just be being over used and in need of a rest!). But the last couple of weeks I've noticed while running that my toes start going numb starts at my big toes on both feet and gradually spreads out a toe at a time (usually getting two or three toes at a time).

Does anyone else have similar problems or am I just getting a bit older and turning into a hypochondriac?

PS I do use properly fitted shoes from a good running shop.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Peripheral neuropathy tends to be insidious and the result of poor long-term glycaemic control. I would think the symptoms are unlikely to be initiated (or spread as rapidly as you say) by exercise, especially as you're newly diagnosed (and T1 tends not to go undiagnosed for too long). But not being medically qualified that's only an opinion!

As an aside, many years ago I read of a study carried out in the US, looking at anaemia suffered by long distance runners. One of the headline conclusions related to the physical destruction of red blood cells by the constant and sustained pounding of feet on hard surfaces, which lead to the anaemia. Sounds absolutely ridiculous and completely far-fetched I know, I just wish I could remember the source in order to quote it here!