Forgot my Metformin

KurvZ

Hi me again,
Im amazed but I managed to forget to take my 2 Metformins after my last meal :shock: , I realized about 80 mins to late , I went out today on my bike with my Daughter and Knackered myself , fell asleep after diner ..

It said in my file not to take if your late by 1-2 hours so ill leave it now till my next dose and just take the normal amount ..

I ate a little more today as I did 14 miles riding and 4 miles walking , as I may have ate to little yesterday ..

Well just done my BG reading 6.4 seems about 1.4 higher than I have been getting , would I expect it to rise now ? I wont be eating again now until Breakfast , oh I still took my Byetta before diner so maybe thats working harder ??

Thanks for any input Dave

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Dave, the current max dose of Metformin is 2000mg split into two 500mg tablets twice a day and is usually taken with food not after as it can cause stomach cramps and diarrhoea. The maximum dose will typically help to drop blood glucose (bg) by about 1 to 2 mmol/L but it has a cumulative effect so missing one dose should not have any great effect on your bg.

I sometimes forget my dinnertime Metformin and then take it with my other night time meds at bedtime but I am lucky in that I dont suffer any nasty side effects and have never had any problems taking it lateer than normal, if unlike me you do then it might be better to miss a dose rather than take it late and then resume normal dosage the following day.

If you miss out on any medication you should never double the dose the following day as in some cases this could have serious consequences, overdose etc.

So basically dont worry too much if you miss a dose of Metformin although for best results it should be taken regularly.

KurvZ

Thanks for that Sid , I had a little panic but first time and all Didn't realize I could drop below 4 as I'm not on insulin ..
I take my Metformin usually Straight after I have eaten , and I would never take a double dose .. Thanks for your help and sorry for the delay in my Reply

sue122

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got to work tonight & then realised that I had forgotten my metformin & glisterside tablets, unfortunately due to the nature of my job I can not go home to get them, will it be ok to miss a
Dose & then resume taking them in the morning

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't find any information on glisterside - but Metformin doesn't do much at all, as far as I could tell. I would not think you were in any danger.