Forum ghosts

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was reading a thread about meters. It went back to around 2009 and I recognised hardly anyone who was posting back then.

I wonder where they are now and why they haven't stuck around. I hope I never desert this ship.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I guess this is probably true of most forums. I think those newly diagnosed are hungry for knowledge and have lots of questions initially and move on. People have less time nowadays and then there are the occasional threads that upset people. I too hope to stick around and I hope many others do too but forums evolve and some will leave whilst newbies join.

Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was reading a thread about meters. It went back to around 2009 and I recognised hardly anyone who was posting back then.

I wonder where they are now and why they haven't stuck around. I hope I never desert this ship.

I will haunt the forum forever.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's sad when oldies disappear. The forum needs people with more experience to chivvy along the newbies.
I hope to be here forever, too!

Reactions: 7 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I suspect many are still around reading occasionally but without posting much.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i tell myself I'm leaving the forum at least 10 times a week after reading something i didnt like, then I'm back, i can't wait until this addiction ends as i don't really like anyone on the forum anyway, i needs to attend forums anonamous (and spelling classes) your all terrible people, i may try a NFHF diet

;)

Reactions: 15 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seen 1000's of people come and go over the years, there's various reasons why members stop posting and all are personal to themselves, however there's still a few of us around from the early days of when the forum began ;)

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I joined since I had been carrying out experiments on myself for six months and this forum was saying things that struck home and were in accord with my own results. I stayed because I could learn even more from others and did so in big lumps. I remained because I felt a duty to help newbies as I had been helped. If I leave it will be because of the squabbling that goes on in most threads as soon as they forget what the OP asked.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope I stay so I can give back a small part of the help I have received from others, so generously given.

A thread that got very nasty the other day nearly put me off. But I'm not going to let one rotten apple (from outside the barrel) stop me from participating in all the good things going on here.

Reactions: 21 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even though I'm doing well at the moment, it doesn't stop the down times and this is the place to come:

to ask
To cry
To laugh
To help

I wonder if some have drifted then felt they couldn't face coming back if they weren't doing so well.

WELCOME BACK

If you're watching ...

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A thread that got very nasty the other day nearly put me off.

A fairly consistent theme on the forum is that someone criticises a poster on a thread without adding any value to the thread or answering the OP's question. This seems designed to elicit argument for its own sake.

We are familiar with the conventional troll but someone who causes contention and does not add value is just another troll.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I have to say this is the most friendly and supportive forum I've been on, no doubt helped by the subject matter and that we're all in this boat together. But even so the help, support, advice, shoulder to cry on etc etc is extraordinary when it could have been just dry and impersonal.

You always get the odd troll, scammer, or whatever but by and large they get found out pretty quickly and the mods keep a lid on most outbursts.

Reactions: 6 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Last weekend there did seem to be some heated threads and a few personal attacks. Thankfully, there are far more helpful posts offering great advice and support but it's the bad threads that we remember. The problem with a forum is that one "visitor" can upset many people in a short space of time. The other issue is the written word. Sometimes something is posted without malice but can be taken the wrong way. I've nearly gone a few times myself but then I remember when I was diagnosed I knew nothing and received all my education here. I feel it's a bit of a duty to give some back. I've received attacks and no doubt upset others but that's the nature of a forum !

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
lf someone annoys me l ignore them that way l dont feel the need to answer.
Sometimes l forget to answer but not ignored someone.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
This is a great forum and one of the best ones:D. With such a diversity of people. Unfortunately some members are just looking, at times, to put the cat amongst the pigeons for the heck of it. It's probably the same on most forums and it's the bad that can often get remembered more than the good, similar to the News headlines on the TV, radio or in the Newspapers.
I hope all he ex members are doing well with their lives and their diabetes:)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I've just developed a thick skin about it all now!:) I've been attacked on forums and blogs(Usually anonymously on blogs) and it used to upset me but now I just laugh it off as I've got better things to do than let them win by upsetting me.:D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have only been using the forum for a few weeks, but have learned more here than I have in the 9 years since diagnosis. I have laughed at some of the hilarious comments and been encouraged to be a bit light hearted and sometimes silly too. (You know who you are cryptic ginger cat pic woman). I think the main value is that something to do with my experience of diabetes that I thought was unique to me has also been experienced by others. We, through exchanging ideas, can know much more than the health professionals who are meant to help us deal with our diabetes. I feel we have a duty to share that knowledge.
I tend to ignore the posts that are obvious wind ups as people who use forums for such purpose thrive on the attention.