Forxiga

Vreelandjr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Januvia (100 mg.) and Metformin (500 mg.), but I'm slowly losing ground vis-a-vis my A1C. Thinking about replacing Januvia with Farxiga assuming my doctor conurs. Any thoughts/comments??

leesmall1970

I have been taking Forxiga for about a month now and it's brilliant. With a slight change in my diet (down to one type of carb per day) I am now completely off my insulin! It does have some side effects, mainly drinking more & visiting the loo more often but I can live with that.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been on Forxigia with the Metformin now for three weeks and stomach seems to have settled but now have thrush so am not happy! It does say that this is a side effect but do not really expect to have it so hope that it clears soon. Went into Boots this morning, cannot get GP appointment until next week to ask for some Canestan and they would not sell it to me I til seen GP!! However, got some at Tesco Pharmacy!
Has anyone else had this particular side effect? And if so has it recurred or just been a one off attack?

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I have been wanting to post but scared of getting shouted at by those who are managing perfectly!! Am just finishing second month on forxiga with no improvement. I am on everything else as well, metformin, sitagliptin and insulin. I do struggle with curbing carbs and following a few months low carbing I am now just trying to eat small and sensible. Is it because I am eying too many carbs - I do not remember my gp telling me to do that. Any pearles of wisdom anyone? I am in my 10 th year of diabetes, am 62 year old female, ave experienced lots of stress over the past 2 years and my sugars have been high for 12 months now.

I am actually also suffering with depression and t the moment am absolutely totally sick of dealing with this as even when I do well food wise numbers do not appear lower.

Suzie Quartly

Jude,I have only just seen your post. I am 64 yrs T2 We are all different, so what works for one might not work you. Lowering carbs certainly helps whatever the nurses and docs say about eating normally. Exercise also helps. I wallow about in a swimming pool several times a week for my exercise. i have had them muck around with my meds over the past 6 months and one observation I made was that Linagliptin actually raised my blood sugars 5 points. I think its similar to sitagliptin that you take, so it might be worth talking to your nurse about leaving that out and seeing how you go. I checked out the side effects of linagliptin and it was known to do this in a few rare cases - trust me to be 'rare'!

johnsands64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have started using Forxiga and definitely notice weeing more and thirsty. I was wondering if anyone would know whether it has to be taken with Metformin? I have stopped taking Metformin altogether as was not informed otherwise by nurse.

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Forxigai and Metformin but that is how Doctor prescribed. I take Metformin at breakfast and teatime and Forxigia with my lunch. However, I think it can be taken on own.
Yes it does make you wee a lot more but has not made me any thirstier.
Went back to Doctor today to query the Forxiga I was weeing so much and the recurring thrust, and she wants me to carry on with Forxigia for lresent but has given me different cream, and also had to give a sample in for checking if I had a infection! See her again in two weeks. I think the Forxigia is the problem but she disagrees......

When I test myself it does not seem to make much difference as to whether taken or not as was so irritated stopped for a couple of days. So will have to wait and see again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzie Quartly

I have actually combed the NICE regs on Forxiga to prove a point to my DN. Although I am taking it alone right now, its not working too well for me and making me ill at 10 mg doses. However, I can tolerate 5mg well What I discovered is that its not actually approved as a primary medicine but as an auxiliary - secondary or tertiary. This wasnt the info I wanted to find but it was one of the things i discovered!!!

Forxiga was has known side effects on the urinary system, and does cause thrush, because theres a lot more sugar in the urine than normal which the bugs like to feed on. Washing after every pee can help reduce the likelyhood.

meljp

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just found this forum today as I started taking Forxiga today. I also take metformin, Lantus and Humalog. I've already noticed that my blood sugars have come down already but I have been weeing for England!! That seems to be the norm from what I have read. I am worried about hypos/thrush/water infections though. Is this something that happens in the first few weeks of taking Forxiga or is it an ongoing problem?

Suzie Quartly

Sorry Meljp to say this but its on going. I was taken off forxiga yesterday, partly because of this problem but partly for 'political'/ NICE reasons............... grrrrrr!!!

cairnlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, no infection but different cream has helped to some extent with thrush. However, Dr wants me to continue with Forxigia but agreed to reduce dose whn I said abou the excessive trips to toilet, so now have 5mg tablets instead of 10 so will see if that helps with the side effects!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in my 2nd week of a two month trial taking 5g of Forxiga with Metformin - which I've been on for a year. I've not yet noticed any change since taking Forxiga. No extra bathroom visits or thirst - in fact I forgot to drink my usual 1.5 bottle of water today altogether as I've been extra busy.

I have been low carbing for a year now so perhaps I'm just not producing much excess glucose to expel? I don't know. My daytime bs are very good - all around the 5's -7's (max) but they were coming down anyway with my change of diet and increased exercise. My fasting bs have dropped to the 6's after a year of trying to lower them unsuccessfully

No change in my weight yet.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on a triple of metformin, sitagliptin and 10mg forxiga, increased from 5mg after my last ac1 which showed my numbers were finally heading in the right direction. No increased thirst, but ive generally drunk between 2 and 3 litres of fluid a day anyway, ive lost the weight I gained when put on gliclazide but not anymore, and touch wood not problems with thrush

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on 10mg Forxiga for 3 months. I've only lost a few pounds which was in the first few weeks and that was probably excess water.
I also take metformin and gliclazide but I'm not sure if the gliclazide is the reason my weight loss is sooo slow?
I don't know if I need gliclazide with Forxiga? Any ideas?

Suzie Quartly

I've been on 10mg Forxiga for 3 months. I've only lost a few pounds which was in the first few weeks and that was probably excess water.
I also take metformin and gliclazide but I'm not sure if the gliclazide is the reason my weight loss is sooo slow?
I don't know if I need gliclazide with Forxiga? Any ideas?
My doc flatly refuses to prescribe Forxiga with Gliclazide as he says its against NICE guidelines but I have combed the guidelines myself and cant find . Actually your combination sounds good, maybe you would be Ok on just 2 of them but there will be a reason your doc has given you all 3, so unless you have probs dont worry about it is my feeling!

barbra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
hi, ive been taking 10mg forxiga for a week alongside my metformin twice a day and have noticed a drastic lowering of my levels, ive cut right down on carbs and have lost about 1/2 stone this week, so well happy and far less tired with my levels being lower. drinking and weeing non stop no other side effects as yet.

ShaneAbdel

I have been taking Forxiga for about a month now and it's brilliant. With a slight change in my diet (down to one type of carb per day) I am now completely off my insulin! It does have some side effects, mainly drinking more & visiting the loo more often but I can live with that.

I have had type 2 for 15 years and have had several changes in medication: gliclazide- metformin- exenatide- forxiga and now prescribed dapaglithozin. Unfortunately after reading the forum yesterday, I began to worry about the forxiga which was increased after six months. I keep getting thrush which is driving me crazy. Then I was prescribed dapaglithozin but , since I have moved abroad, cannot get it, so returned to Forxiga.

Can anyone tell me what effect the dapaglithozin is likely to have, as I have now managed to acquire three month's supply?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have had type 2 for 15 years and have had several changes in medication: gliclazide- metformin- exenatide- forxiga and now prescribed dapaglithozin. Unfortunately after reading the forum yesterday, I began to worry about the forxiga which was increased after six months. I keep getting thrush which is driving me crazy. Then I was prescribed dapaglithozin but , since I have moved abroad, cannot get it, so returned to Forxiga.

Can anyone tell me what effect the dapaglithozin is likely to have, as I have now managed to acquire three month's supply?
I wouldn't touch this drug:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/36474059.php

To find the section on forxiga, press ctrl+F to search for the term "dapagliflozin" on the page. Go to the second mention of the term.

I would suggest that if you are unable to get your blood sugars down through diet, that you explore insulin therapy. Personally, it seems to me much safer than drugs like forgixa/dapagliflozin.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
My GP prescribed Dapagliflozin 5mg in May this year and I took it daily until 10th August. It brought down my blood sugars on a daily basis and it reduced my HBA1C to 71 (from 78). I stopped it because Of the excessive sweating day and night. I saw my GP yesterday and he was not very pleased at me stopping the drug, he asked me to go back on it and persevere with the sweating - so I agreed. But, he said if I developed backache, thrush in my groin or pain on passing urine I was to stop immediately. I have had my bloods done today to check my HBA1C.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
My GP prescribed Dapagliflozin 5mg in May this year and I took it daily until 10th August. It brought down my blood sugars on a daily basis and it reduced my HBA1C to 71 (from 78). I stopped it because Of the excessive sweating day and night. I saw my GP yesterday and he was not very pleased at me stopping the drug, he asked me to go back on it and persevere with the sweating - so I agreed. But, he said if I developed backache, thrush in my groin or pain on passing urine I was to stop immediately. I have had my bloods done today to check my HBA1C.
It's all very well for a HCP to ask us to persevere with a nasty side effect, but they are not the ones who have to go through it. There may be other options for getting your BGs down, that you could discuss with him next time. Do contact him though if you want to stop any medication, other than for the reasons he specified to you. Good luck with your HbA1c result.

Reactions: 2 people