Found what was causing my itchy feet

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Don't know if you remember i wrote a couple of weeks ago about my itchy feet.
Went to the podiatry on Wednesday and explained to her about the itching i get when my feet get warm, she diagnosed chilblanes. Don't know if theres anyone who has chilblanes and knows of any kind of remedy to relieve the itching if so could you let me know.

Thanks

Tracey167

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Keep feet warm not HOT and improve circulation. Exercise might do it
Hana

LaughingHyena

I managed to get them last winter, I have never had such itchy feet.

My podiatrist mentioned creams but suggested that I might be better off without them. I think the worry was rubbing in a cream might split the skin but I may not have remembered that right. Mine went away once the weather started to warm up, hopefully spring will come quickly and you can get rid of yours. He also mentioned that he could get some thermal insoles for my shoes if I had problems with cold feet again this year. They might be something to look into.

I've started sleeping with thermal socks on and bought some warmer slippers which seem to be working for me this year.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks for all your advice, i must admit my feet do get cold very quickly i sometimes have a pair of normal socks on with a pair of slipper socks over the top. The podiarist also said to me once the weather warms up it will ease off, she also said about the creams you can get but said its not really worth it especially if the weather is warming up or getting milder. Roll on summer. lol

Last night i was justing sitting reading a magazine and we had the heating on as it become abit chilly after about an hour my toes become very itchy again, after a while it drove me mad so i went in the kitchen and stood bare foot on the cold floor and it eased it off. Things we have to do ha-ha....

tracey167

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Tracey167 said:
Last night i was justing sitting reading a magazine and we had the heating on as it become abit chilly after about an hour my toes become very itchy again, after a while it drove me mad so i went in the kitchen and stood bare foot on the cold floor and it eased it off. Things we have to do ha-ha....

It must be driving you mad Tracey but just be careful standing on a cold floor in bare feet, as diabetics we are told that we should avoid this and must wear socks, slippers or shoes to protect our feet.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Thanks noblehead for the advise silly me did'nt think of that, all that went through my head was to stop the itching. Now i know you have told me that i will keep my socks on. Today i took my daughter to the doctors and the surgery was really warm and after about 10-15 mins of waiting my feet started itching again and there was nothing i could do sitting in a doctors waiting room. Can't wait till the weather warms up abit.

Tracey167

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get chilblains on my toes - when my feet get warm they itch like mad. I was told to try calamine lotion on them.....not hugely successful, I have to say.

Apparently, you get chilblains as a result of rapid change in temperature......putting your freezing cold feet on a hot water bottle, e.g. (I used to do that all the time :roll: ). The trick is to try not to let your feet get too cold in the first place. Even constantly wearing socks though (including in bed) throughout the winter, I still get the blasted things from time to time. :evil: