Four weeks on low carb - going to stick with it this time

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I just wanted to post up that I've been doing ketogenic low carb (<30g / day) for the past four weeks during which time I have lost 9 lbs, dropped my base insulin from 20u/day to 12u/ day and pretty much completely dropped my novorapid completely.
My blood sugars are stable at around 6-8 and it's about as close to not actually being diabetic as you can get! (apart from the fact that you can't eat many carbs obviously)
I think I've realised the key is to have lots of recipes up your sleeve, and for me, low carb substitutes such as low carb bread, pasta and rice are helping.
I'm planning to do another four weeks of ketogenic to get 1 stone off, then maybe increase to around 50-60g per day with occasional treats in order to maintain, or even better continue to lose weight very slowly.
I've finally admitted carbs are not my friend, even though in theory as a functional type 1 we can eat them and inject to cover, in practice that never really worked with me except in small quantities.

Reactions: 18 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi AC, I can see you are doing well.
Well done in your weight loss and I hope life and diabetes is treating you well. How's your eyes now and how is your little one doing, must be getting big now.?

Take care and best wishes RRB :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for sticking to this, and in your weight loss. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck and well done on weight loss :)

Gerba

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I would concur that carbs and diabetes don't go. I tried it for two days over a three week period and noticed a huge different in my distended stomach. However trying to exercise and be on a low card diet is extremely difficult, but I'm going to continue. It has not really reduced my basal rate but my overall BG has improved, although those **** random spikes still sneak in.......

Well done and keep up the good work

bellabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wanted to post up that I've been doing ketogenic low carb (<30g / day) for the past four weeks during which time I have lost 9 lbs, dropped my base insulin from 20u/day to 12u/ day and pretty much completely dropped my novorapid completely.
My blood sugars are stable at around 6-8 and it's about as close to not actually being diabetic as you can get! (apart from the fact that you can't eat many carbs obviously)
I think I've realised the key is to have lots of recipes up your sleeve, and for me, low carb substitutes such as low carb bread, pasta and rice are helping.
I'm planning to do another four weeks of ketogenic to get 1 stone off, then maybe increase to around 50-60g per day with occasional treats in order to maintain, or even better continue to lose weight very slowly.
I've finally admitted carbs are not my friend, even though in theory as a functional type 1 we can eat them and inject to cover, in practice that never really worked with me except in small quantities.
Awesome work! I've gotten back into low carb recently too but the main issue is I get bored after two weeks or so and slip back into carby foods and poor bg readings.... Could you give some examples of the foods/ meals you're eating now?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't forget to take the high fat part of LCHF seriously..the fat replaces the lost energy from the carbs.

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians, has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."
Don't do low fat @4.00 minutes in to video

Last edited by a moderator: