Free gym membership

Roberta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was wondering if your type 1 diabetic can you get a free gym membership, i know that type 2 can but i was wondering if type 1 can?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 as well and I didn't know that.
Does anybody know if this is true and how to apply?

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't see why you would get free membership just because your a diabetic!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hmm. I think there is some confusion over this.

I don't believe there is free membership of gyms for type 2's as such, but I know that in some areas GP's can refer suitable patients to a gym for a certain amount of sessions, this is free of charge.

I seem to remember it was aimed not just at diabetics but those who are obese and have fitness problems.

Not sure if the scheme still runs..will try and find out.

EDIT-Found this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -20425398/

Elc1112

Never heard this and I really don't understand why you'd be entitled to free gym membership just because you're diabetic! You sure it isn't an offer that is unique to your gym?!

colette1958

You can go through your GP for the gym membership, it only lasts 12 weeks and you can only go throughout the day, if your working normal office hours its no good! :(

It is to encourage people who need to lose weight and cannot afford the costs of gym memebership.

Colette

bobismad

I think the Docs one was calleled GPRS, G.P Referal Scheme, in scotland, but I dont think it is still running, as I was on this a number of years ago.

Bob

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
You don't get free membership of a gym. Certain areas will accept referrals from GPs for a reduced rate in council gyms, but it's not free.

KaseyCoff

Speaking as the unemployed wife of an OAP - we can't afford gyms or fitness equipment. Even the 'cut-rate' discounts would add up to too much for us, especially when you factor in transportation costs.

I wish the NHS would offer some kind of 'basic plan.' Diabetics, hypertensives, people who are morbidly obese, etc. could all benefit from some kind of free access to fitness suites / classes. It would be an ideal preventive measure if people hadn't yet begun to suffer from some of the secondary conditions, thereby saving the NHS money / resources over the long haul. And if people do have some of the concomitant conditions, they could begin addressing them with exercise.

With the new move to slash the budget even farther, tho, I don't think there will be such a program offered, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Shame, really...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
KaseyCoff said:
With the new move to slash the budget even farther, tho, I don't think there will be such a program offered, at least not in the foreseeable future.

No I can't see it Kasey although you make sense in what your saying about a 'basic plan' :)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The argument against free gym membership is that walking is free and most people can do that. There are health walks schemes in many areas, although admittedly not alwaays at convenient times nor in places easy to reach on public transport.

Some wildlife trusts / conservation bodies offer "green gym" sessions - physically active conservation outdoors.

Worth googling for schemes in local areas, as what's on offer varies so much between places.

goboldly

Glasgow has two free swimming programmes:

Glasgow Young Scot/Kidz Card Holders

Kidz Card and Glasgow Young Scot Card holders can swim for free in any Glasgow Sport pool. To get a card you must either live or go to school in Glasgow city:

Glasgow Kidz Card (5-12 years)*
Glasgow Young Scot Card (12-18 years)

* Please note children under 8 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
Over 60s

Anyone over 60 years old who pays Council Tax to Glasgow City Council is eligible to swim for free. Simply go along to the pool of your choice with proof of your age and address and swim as often as you like.

Glasgow and other areas have a Vitality programme either Doctor or self referred which i believe
cost £2.50 per session

Glasgow have a freephone no. not sure if I am allowed to post it.
Andy

Grazer

goboldly said:
Glasgow have a freephone no. not sure if I am allowed to post it.
Can't see it's a problem in this context. Won't help me, but reckon you should just post it. Moderator can soon remove it if they don't like it!

lyn hathawy

in my area (south yorks ) i joined a group nearly a year ago called "be active " it is free to join and then you have free access to fitness programmes around the area including swimming.it also gives lots of information on healthy balanced eating with recipes ect .
its just 6 days since i got diagnosed with type 2 and the information i had recieved in the last 12 months are going to help me immensley over the coming months as i come to terms with this illness.

C

chris lowe

When I was first diagnosed, I was given a GP referral to a gym at the local university where the taught sport sciences (or something like that). It was for 12 free sessions after which there was a small "admin" fee of something like £1.50 per week. This may be the free gym membership you are thinking of. I think, depending on funding some NHS trusts do offer limited GP referred gym sessions. Unfortunately just as I'd finished the 12 weeks the local NHS which funded the sessions decided to stop the funding so the scheme was stopped. I was already a member of a health club as I used to swim before work a couple of times a week so I got one of the trainers to give me a routine - which was much harder work than scheme I'd been on (I think the problem was that most of those attending were there for heart related problems, so we were not particularly pushed to the limit) but I have to say that I do feel better for it. I do a mixture of weights, treadmill, cross trainer and rowing for about an hour, then have a quick swim.

A

Anonymous

In Dundee, you can get a leisureactive for all council run gyms and swimming pools starting from £13 a month, your doctor can refer you for it, they give you 6 sessions with a personal trainer (if i remember correctly from a previous membership i had)

You can have the silver package

Access to fitness studios, health and sauna suites and swimming pools Monday to Friday from opening to 4.00pm; including access to fitness studios Saturday and Sunday.

£18 single
£31 couple

Not too bad at all when you consider it but the nearest one to me is a bus ride away which in itself costs £3.20 return, so to get to the gym every day would cost me a fortune!!!

I also have COPD which limits have far i can walk etc, so really stuck for exercise :(