FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
I've found a page where I'm offered a free one touch verio: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/verio-giveaway.html?ref=lcp
Plus I've also received an email from someone called "Charlotte" seemingly from diabetes.co.uk with that logo at the top but actually from this email address: [email protected].
that's about a Type 2 Testing Program - a service for people with Type 2 Diabetes who don't have access to blood glucose testing equipment and she says she wants to let me know about it. And that's also offering a GlucoRx blood glucose meter worth £18.95.

I have a few questions about these two things:
1) are they genuine, or are they scams?
2) if genuine, why are they giving away free meters?

What's the best thing to do, get one of these? or a different brand?

I know nothing whatever about these things. So I'm hoping some of you guys (or gals) can help me out with your opinions and experience of all this.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Reactions: 2 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, lots of companies offer free meters then charge extortionate prices for the testing strips. Be careful. You get nothing for nothing in this world.

Reactions: miriamy

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are buying your own (I have to buy mine) then check the cost of the test strips as these add up, if you test before food and 1 hr after and 2 hrs after then thats at least 9 strips a day, about 275 strips a month.

Now you can understand why companies offer "free" meters. The SDcodefree test strips are £34.95 for 250 strips.

Looking at Boots website the one touch test strips are £27.99 for 50, meditouch are £19.99 for 50, there are others on the site but all seem more expensive than the SD code free.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
In general , Boots et al are the most expensive strips to buy. Remeber that if you look round the testers, and look at which ones have the features that look most handy, you can usually get the manufacturer to send you one for free including ~10 strips to try:).
also remember the lancets do not have to be used with that manufacturer's meter and are often interchangable! (I use Accuchek Fastclik lancet, but not their strips)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
They are free but beware that they charge alot for there strips

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks everybody, I get it now. I've taken the plunge (and it does feel like a plunge!) and just ordered one of those Codefree meters from Amazon - should be here end of next week.
I feel much like I did when I was diagnosed - scared!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everybody, I get it now. I've taken the plunge (and it does feel like a plunge!) and just ordered one of those Codefree meters from Amazon - should be here end of next week.

When you order extra strips, use the suppliers website. You can get a discount if you buy in bulk.
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

The discount codes are:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

They are quite generous discounts, and don't forget to declare you are diabetic so you don't pay any VAT.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Nest time you go to your doctors....bargain with him for some strips. Once you can show him how you benefit of its use, tell him that you did buy a meter but 'sadly' the strips are getting expensive and it would help if he could prescribe some, even if it is only every now and then...;) Give him 'poor old me' treatment and he just might soften up :angelic:
I know GP's are tightening their purse strings now, but there was a time when type 2's did get strips even when they were on just tablet treatment. They are totally wasting money in so many unimportant areas and then not investing something that would save them money in long run!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nest time you go to your doctors....bargain with him for some strips. Once you can show him how you benefit of its use, tell him that you did buy a meter but 'sadly' the strips are getting expensive and it would help if he could prescribe some, even if it is only every now and then...;) Give him 'poor old me' treatment and he just might soften up :angelic:
I know GP's are tightening their purse strings now, but there was a time when type 2's did get strips even when they were on just tablet treatment. They are totally wasting money in so many unimportant areas and then not investing something that would save them money in long run!
I'll remember to put on a good performance of "poor ole me". Lol! Thanks for the advice.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didnt know about the discount codes either. The 10 pack price is just the same as the 1 pack price on the website. Thanks for the info.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you order extra strips, use the suppliers website. You can get a discount if you buy in bulk.
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

The discount codes are:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

They are quite generous discounts, and don't forget to declare you are diabetic so you don't pay any VAT.

5 packs costs quite a lot, and I can't see anywhere to put a discount code in.
Do you know if there's a discount for the cable too?

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Don't want to order, as I've only just got the other pack in the post. But I wanted to get the cable.