Freestyle at the Airport

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ill be heading to the states soon, and im wondering if any of you have flown with your freestyle sensor in.

is it safe to use the fully body scanners with it? how do you explain to the security staff you have it on your arm and not to nearly pull it off when they pat you down.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've flown 4 times in the last week and never once did I get stopped by security staff or set off any scanners. HOWEVER, after flying my sensor did start losing accuracy and reporting way higher than my finger prick tests. After speaking with Abbott it seems this is a common problem but, on the flip-side, I know there are many members here who have had no problems after flying and, furthermore, the manual states flying with it is no issue.

EDIT - I never had to use the full body scanners on these trips......so take the above with that in mind!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pinewood , I'm flying to S.America on Friday and was going to activate a Libre just before I flew but it might be a waste if it upsets the readings. Would you suggest perhaps putting one one and activating on landing? I realise you might not have a lot of experience with this but thought I'd get your general impression. I did this in Marrakesh last month and it seemed to work ok after the flight back.

CraigDT

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a letter from my nurse before I flew anywhere with needles etc. If you are stopped at security you can show them that.

HaroldC

Been to the states a few times. No problems with pumps or Libre. If you're smily, enthusiastic and happy to cooperate and explain what you've got they're just fine and professional exactly as you'd expect.
(also, power down any kit that's going through x-rays. Don't panic if you forget. And don't turn off the bluetooth controls to pump or CGM, they're such low power and they won't affect the aircraft, only your comfort and convenience.)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Pinewood , I'm flying to S.America on Friday and was going to activate a Libre just before I flew but it might be a waste if it upsets the readings. Would you suggest perhaps putting one one and activating on landing? I realise you might not have a lot of experience with this but thought I'd get your general impression. I did this in Marrakesh last month and it seemed to work ok after the flight back.

Hey Jane. I haven't flown with the Libra yet, but my thoughts are that nothing about the technology at airports or on planes affects the Libra accuracy. However, dehydration (and possibly other things like air pressure) can impact the relative glucose levels in your interstitial fluid and as that is what the Libre relies on, it could be accurately reporting differences between BG and IFG after flying.

Smidge

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The full-body scanners apparently do modify the sensors though. So ask for physical exam instead.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The full-body scanners apparently do modify the sensors though. So ask for physical exam instead.
I wonder how that works then since the Libre works at the 13MHz range and the backscatter xray scanners in airports are in the tens of GHz range.

Is this annecdotal or have you seen some actual evidence on this? My suspicion would be that it is more likely other factors that happen during travel that have it messing with the output.

Be interesting to know the mechanism if it is the scanners though.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone reported their sensor stopped working. I wouldn't take the chance anyway.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm. Well like I said that could be anything since they havent said why it stopped working and the basics of how both systems work means that they should not interfere with one another really.

Be interesting to find out if anyone else sees similar.