1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre 2

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Luvly, Mar 10, 2021.

1. SOTR

SOTR · Well-Known Member

Luvly... good news!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Luvly

Luvly · Well-Known Member

Yay, I received the freestyle Libre 2 today..

3. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is no strap involved, it’s a self adhesive pad. It comes with very clear instructions. If you have to self fund you could save 20% by declaring a VAT exemption. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SOTR

SOTR · Well-Known Member

Luvly, tell us how you get on.
    As I say I ordered some special round plasters from Amazon, which makes me more confident to have a shower.

5. Luvly

Aye, I'll let you know how I get on. I've just got back from the chemist, bought some plasters before put on the sensor

6. SOTR

SOTR · Well-Known Member

I saw somewhere that the sensor has a hole in the middle which should not be blocked.
    I guess you should cut a small hole in any plaster. Anyone?

The circular ones I got from Amazon seem to have a breathable area in the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Luvly

Hi yes I've cut a hole in the centre.
    But will buy some pre-cut ones from Amazon Thank you for your advice

8. SOTR

SOTR · Well-Known Member

Sorry if I am making it look like I am some sort of expert. I am definitely not.

9. Tramk

Tramk · Member

My wife helps me to place and remove the sensors. We don't have issues at all. She sees that the sensor is well placed and fit. At replacement, the old sensor is hard to peel off. I use it in shower and sauna. No problems. Haven't had any needs for extra plaster to keep it in place.

10. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I started out using Kinesiology tape.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/kinesiology-tape/s?k=kinesiology+tape
    Gives you some examples.

I didn't cut a hole, but I kept the backing on the bit that went over the sensor so that the tape didn't stick.

I now have enough confidence that I don't bother with tape, as the sensor seems to stick well to my skin.
    The hardest part is getting it off!

11. MarkInNuneaton*

MarkInNuneaton* · Newbie

not 100% true in my case - had free trial - after 8 days I kept getting sensor error - scan sensor - called them and they sent replacement - same happened again and again they sent free replacement - i self fund now but not sure how long I can do that for as it really is way too expensive

12. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agreed, I've had a 2 sensors fail over the 2 1/2 years I've been using Libre 1 and 2 and both times they've sent me replacements without any issues. I log that it has failed and get an automated email within a few days which asks for details (sensor no, where I got it, software I'm using on the app/reader etc) then they send a replacement. The last one failed after 13 days and I didn't think they'd replace it because it had so little time left, but they did! My advice if you want to use the sensors continuously is to always have one in spare, just in case, because it can take a while for replacements to arrive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook