Freestyle Libre and Swimming

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone wear a Libre sensor and swim?
I would like to start swimming but dont want to take a chance incase it falls off.
Any advice would be appreciatted.

Thanks

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how long do you stay in the pool?
I just had a sensor that fell off and i have 6 days left... Strange!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's annoying...I'm only on sensor # 2 so not much experience yet. Generally in the pool for around 30 minutes. Haven't had any problem in sauna/steam/jacuzzi either.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow. How long do you sit in a steam?
Id love to steam but always been too scared that my sensor will come off from the heat. Do you cover it?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow. How long do you sit in a steam?
Id love to steam but always been too scared that my sensor will come off from the heat. Do you cover it?
No, I didn't cover it. Stayed in for about 10-15 minutes.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ill be heading to Florida soon think im going to cover mine with some type of waterpoof plaster just encase

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, good idea. Try to get one big enough so that only the "pad" of the plaster covers the sensor (not the adhesive), otherwise it's easy to rip it off/dislodge it when removing the plaster.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i had a swim yesterday and then steamed for about 10 mins and its all still in tact and sticking perfectly.

Pejay

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My sons just started using a freestyle libre sensor and we are away in Spain! He's worried about swimming but we've read he can be in the water for 30 mins at a time but can't go deeper than 3 feet! Does this mean if you scuba dive or similar because all he wants to do is jump in the deep end? Any advice?

Louise2016

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My sons just started using a freestyle libre sensor and we are away in Spain! He's worried about swimming but we've read he can be in the water for 30 mins at a time but can't go deeper than 3 feet! Does this mean if you scuba dive or similar because all he wants to do is jump in the deep end? Any advice?
How did it go? I'm off to France soon and worried about being in the pool longer than 30mins

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
For my son we cotton conforming bandages from poundland over the libre then use vet wrap over the top. The vet wrap sticks to itself and the conforming bandage is softer on the skin underneath and stops the vet wrap from pulling at the libre when it is removed. We just cut off it and Swimming and make sure the libre is dried.

Just come back from a weeks holiday and went swimming daily for an hour - hour and half and had no problems.

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter uses the libre and loves swimming it's hard to limit the amount she is in the pool. Recently in Lanzarote we cut the toes off of trainer socks and she wore it as an armband over the sensor, yes not ideal as have a load of odd socks but it really worked for us and the sensor was intact!

Pejay

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
He had no problems thankfully and decided not to cover the sensor whilst swimming as worried about tampering with it? Home now and second change of sensor! So far so good, all seems to be working well.....delighted

Pejay

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
How did it go? I'm off to France soon and worried about being in the pool longer than 30mins
Had no problems, didn't cover the sensor and tried to keep time in pool to the 30 minute guide. All worked out well....very happy with the sensor! Makes life easier for him! Good luck in France and happy holidays

Eponym

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On my second sensor. I Ran and sweated with it and swam frequently with it. No problems so far.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Have swum frequently and no probe however want to swim more than 30 mins to help my blood sugar control.... any advice??

talopes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I swim 5 times a week, for more than 2 hours. Have had 2 sensors so far, and both came off when there were 6 days left. Even though the pool affects the gluey face of the sensor, the worst enemy is by far the sweat.
Regarding solutions for swimming practice, there is a water repellant plast named Leukomed T which is very helpful and efficient.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
we've read he can be in the water for 30 mins at a time but can't go deeper than 3 feet!

Just found this while looking for something robust to wear when swimming.

I have been receiving Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy for a few months and have had nearly 30 one hour sessions where the chamber is pressurised to 2 atmospheres (equivalent to 10 metres). I've had no problems with the sensors in the past (current one is doing something strange) and I didn't have to get wet.