Freestyle Libre - bleeding THROUGH new sensor

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Mr S has just fired my new sensor into my arm - this is number 5 - it didn't hurt. My current sensor will expire on Sunday morning, and I always give the new one 36 hours to settle down.

Extraordinarily there is blood - just a dribble - appearing THROUGH the little hole in the middle of the sensor. Messy enough to have needed to be mopped up with a gory-looking tissue but no big deal really - apart from being really weird.

Has anyone else had this happen? I wonder if the sensor will work? Presumably the blood will clot and then bung up the probe. I wonder what to expect from this sensor, if indeed anything.

If this had happened with a cannula for my pump I would remove it immediately and start again in a new location with a new cannula. The reason I haven't is that this is a monitoring tool rather than an insulin delivery system - oh, and it was a £50 investment.....!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to expect - has it happened to you?

:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like you hit a blood vessel (I know, stating the obvious!)

It hasn't happened to me (yet), but I think I would be ringing Abbott in the morning and asking them for their input.
Expect they will send out a replacement as a precautionary measure.

I suppose my concern would be twofold
- it is supposed to test interstitial fluid, not blood, so the readings may be automatically off
- the blood is obviously inside the sensor and may affect its wee electronic heart, causing errors

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply, @Brunneria - I think you're right on all counts!

Wish their FAQs had a decent troubleshooting section. And I've made a note to insert sensors between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday (that's when their lines are open) rather than at bedtime on a bank holiday weekend! :joyful: :banghead:

Ho hum. Bit cross. Mind you, I'm no stranger to hitting blood vessels with needles and cannulas, so I don't know why I'm so surprised!

Will leave it stuck on for now, and will attempt activation on Sunday just to see, but will be prepared for it not to be behaving! I have another in stock though so will be ready to try again if necessary. Will ring Abbott when they're next open (presumably Tuesday but will try Monday on the off chance).

Thanks again!

Reactions: Brunneria

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Many of us have found that bleeders (yes, there is an unofficial term for them) tend to be the most accurate ones that we've used.

I've certainly found that with the two I've had @Snapsy.

With regard to the assertion that the blood is inside the sensor. It isn't. The sensor is in two parts. The filament and the electronics. When you push the two pieces together before insertion it pushed two contacts on the electronic bit onto the filament bit.

The blood therefore goes up through the hole but not actually into the sensor.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh @tim2000s - really really? Wow - looking forward to hitting 'go' on Sunday!

Will report back - oh, and if I do find it's the best sensor yet there will be some pressure on Mr S to find a blood vessel next time too! Might have to raid the DIY shop for one of those scanner thingies that they use to locate electric cables in walls just to make sure he hits the 'bleeder' jackpot!

:joyful:

Feeling much better now that this sensor might not be wasted. Thank you!

:happy:

PS Edited to say that the first line refers only to @tim2000s reference to the accuracy of 'bleeders' - that's what the 'really really' bit relates too - just noticed that it sounds odd - sorry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With regard to the assertion that the blood is inside the sensor. It isn't. The sensor is in two parts. The filament and the electronics. When you push the two pieces together before insertion it pushed two contacts on the electronic bit onto the filament bit.

The blood therefore goes up through the hole but not actually into the sensor.
Thanks for this explanation - sounds like it should be okay!

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent! I have been hoping you would post the outcome.

Now, question is, how do we AIM for a blood vessel?!?! lol

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL! Will do some research! We could pump iron before inserting a sensor - that'd certainly turn blood vessels into bigger targets! :joyful:

As far as accuracy is concerned it's doing fine - the last sensor was pretty good too, and I have to say I've been anything but predictable sugarwise over the last week and a bit thanks to an evil chest infection which I'm still struggling to shake off.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have arms like Madonna, with veins like the M1, so you could just pick one on me! The upper, outer arms aren't quite so bad.....

New1etes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This happened to me last night and surprisingly sensor has been working fine for the past 12 hours

andyndee

Looks like you hit a blood vessel (I know, stating the obvious!)

It hasn't happened to me (yet), but I think I would be ringing Abbott in the morning and asking them for their input.
Expect they will send out a replacement as a precautionary measure.

I suppose my concern would be twofold
- it is supposed to test interstitial fluid, not blood, so the readings may be automatically off
- the blood is obviously inside the sensor and may affect its wee electronic heart, causing errors
It's happened to me several times and every time I think I bet that won't work but it does.

Reactions: Brunneria

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
How to hit a vein? Wait for a full moon make sure u have a dozen black cats pass in front of you, close your eyes spin aclockwise 5 times then go for it , if you do you can do my lottery ticket lol, you are definitely luckier than me cos every time I’ve had blood through my sensor it’s not worked
stay lucky

Reactions: jomar_uk

jimmyt1988

I just hit a blood vessel. First time in 2 years. Grotesque amount of blood coming through the middle and strangely uncomfortable... then it stopped about 10 seconds later. I'll tell you how it goes once it's activated. <sigh>. Diabetes, yayyyy. Thanks genetics!

Edit: yes the sensor is working fine.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Mr S has just fired my new sensor into my arm - this is number 5 - it didn't hurt. My current sensor will expire on Sunday morning, and I always give the new one 36 hours to settle down.

Extraordinarily there is blood - just a dribble - appearing THROUGH the little hole in the middle of the sensor. Messy enough to have needed to be mopped up with a gory-looking tissue but no big deal really - apart from being really weird.

Has anyone else had this happen? I wonder if the sensor will work? Presumably the blood will clot and then bung up the probe. I wonder what to expect from this sensor, if indeed anything.

If this had happened with a cannula for my pump I would remove it immediately and start again in a new location with a new cannula. The reason I haven't is that this is a monitoring tool rather than an insulin delivery system - oh, and it was a £50 investment.....!

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what to expect - has it happened to you?

Yes it has happened to me twice and I had time change the sensor as it would not work wrote to Abbotts in London but no reply by them.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My very first ever sensor bled, got it all over my hands, phone, shirt and sofa as I didn’t notice immediately and no expectation of what to expect. The sensor gave very dodgy readings of less than 3.5, even after a meal. Then packed up after only 10 hours.

I had quite a bruise at the site and was almost put off trying again but Abbott replaced it and I gave myself a stiff talking to so the new one is on and working well.

Now just discovering what a handful of sultanas does to my BS :eek:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Often have a minor bleeder but a couple of weeks ago had a gusher. Horrendous! Luckily all worked and were bang on accurate. Only tend to be about 0.4-1 out.