Freestyle libre in Thailand!

poppyblackcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm holidaying in Thailand in July and wondered if anyone had any experience of using a freestyle libre sensor on a plane, through airport security, or in humid Thai temperatures? It will be my first time out of Europe at 44 years old and I'm dreading it!!
Any tips?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up the forum in the hope that you get some replies, hope you have a safe trip.

Marling

I live on Bali several months every year and therefore travel long-haul regularly. Never had any problems. Through security I just put all my equipment in plastic bags in a tray. The humidity of the tropical climate has no effect on anything I need, in my experience. You'll love Thailand! Enjoy your holiday and have a good flight

Marling

Actually, poppyblackcat, I have no idea what a freestyle libre sensor is. Perhaps testing equipment?? If it's a pump, of course my above advice is nonsensical...

Lancelot J

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower, Broccoli. And loud, ignorant opinionated people.
I live in Malaysia (just down the road). I've never had a problem getting my BG testing kit on a plane (I carry it in my 'man-bag'). Heat and humidity can affect electronics but just keep it in the shade to keep it cooler. Drink PLENTY of water - dehydration will creep up on you unnoticed and that will raise your BG readings. Wash you hands well before you test - chances are you'll be touching 'strange' things. Thai food is usually fresh, light and delicious but keep in mind there are no recipes - only ingredients - usually a mix of sweet, sour, salt and spice so each cook makes the same dish differently. That said, don't get paranoid about it. Eat and test. If need be just ask for less sweet. Once you get a little experience you'll build your confidence and you'll get the hang of it all. Enjoy.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seen some comments about the sensor and flying on another thread. It may be best to try and not have a sensor on while you are travelling just in case there is some issue that causes the sensor to quit working on you.

Once there I doub't you will see many issues though.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a plane 2-6 times a week and been wearing the freestye libre since January 2015. The frestyle libre sensor has so far not a single time made the airport security screening scanners go off when you walk through the metal detectors. I tend to recall some references in the manual about not using the reader device during air transportation. Reason being its a radio transceiver and could interfere with plane/navigation electronics. Been discussing it with a couple of pilots, who mainly said everything was overstated, as such medical devices approved for general market usage in US and Europe would be safe, and allowed when in midair. Mind you, the reader also need to be within just a couple of inches for the signal to be strong enough to read from the sensor, so total signal strength is bound to be very very low.

Have tried wearing my sensor in a sauna and it stayed on fine as well as when doing water sports. I actually have only the experience with it, that I find it quite hard to get it off again. While I do recognise other fellow users have reported about sensor falling off more or less by themselves. Only thing I make sure of when inserting it is that the skin is totally clean, has been swabbed with the disinfectant and then totally dry as possible before placing the new sensor on. I also press quite hard onto it when placing it, maybe for like 25-30 seconds. And ups yes, I also do shave the skin clean with a razor before placing it. Not sure if shaving makes a difference in helping it to stay on for full 2 week duration, but it does make a huge difference in 'manly pain' when pulling it off again. :)

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also had no issues with them falling off but I too shave the area the sensor will be placed and give it a good clean and swab then push down quite hard when applying.