Freestyle libre!! Just been allowed to order:)

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all..
Long time no speak, sorry about that, hope everyone is ok.
Ive been on waiting list for freestyle libre for last 6 months, and had given up, when I got an email last week, saying I will be able to order soon, as stocks back in.
Well, today I was emailed from Abbot saying I could now order, so I have, my sensors x2 and my reader.
I am writing to ask if anyone is using it, and how they find it?, tips?..I've heard mixed reviews about 6 months ago, but wondered if things are more settled now, and if it has changed anyone life( finger tips back to normal, lol)!?
Eager to hear reviews... Good or bad
Thank you!!

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first one I had was great, you'll get addicted to scanning yourself!
I think I averages something stupid like 60 scans a day in the first week :woot:
It does give you a greater insight into what's happening in your body and let's you relax a little bit...not to mention giving your fingers a rest!

Unfortunately the next 3 I had bough all fell off, if the adhesive was a little stronger I'd have them on repeat

Reactions: 2 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first one I had was great, you'll get addicted to scanning yourself!
I think I averages something stupid like 60 scans a day in the first week :woot:
It does give you a greater insight into what's happening in your body and let's you relax a little bit...not to mention giving your fingers a rest!

Unfortunately the next 3 I had bough all fell off, if the adhesive was a little stronger I'd have them on repeat
They shouldn't be falling off before the 2 weeks are up, and if they do, Abbott will replace them. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've been using it non-stop since March and have never had one come off before the end of the 2 weeks. That's despite me firing them over a Compeed, running and using gym 3-5 times a week and also swimming and using sauna/steam a couple of times a week! If they do seem to start coming loose it's nothing a square of Opsite can't sort out.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hope this means they are starting to fulfil all outstanding orders as i'm also on the waiting list for one too and haven't heard a peep off them..:dead:

jopar

I've actually packed my libre away and stopped using it..

I didn't get much of a problem with falling off, the ones I had stuck quite well, but most of the time they were reading so low that I had a flat line on the graph, or they would be way out sometimes as much as 6mmol/l's out...

I used it for around 4 months, and didn't get any useful or information that I trusted enough to even change any settings on my insulin pump.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you get any failures like the reader telling you the device has failed or it just stopping working then give Abbot a shout and let them know.

I have had 2 sensors fail and they replaced both no arguments.

Just make sure you keep the failed sensor as they will send you returns packaging so they can see what went wrong.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on a Libre waiting list for over 5 months now. I gave up and got the Dexcom...

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I registered on the 9th of April and am currently waiting for my first sensor to activate... *checks clock again*

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to know Abbot will replace faulty sensors. So, is it working yet staffs?

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is indeed, came on after the hour. It's really interesting. One slight niggle that I'd have is that you don't seem to be able to see what your blood glucose was at a certain point. I've noticed that I dropped quite low over night before coming back up again (I know it's low as the line went red) but there doesn't seem to be a way of seeing how low it is.. Still it's really useful to know that it happened at all, I'd never have known without the sensor! Got a bit scan happy around breakfast too :)
Screenshot - 26_11_2015 , 08_57_28.png

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm actuallythat drop coincides with a time when I scanned and got an error so I can probably ignore that, would probably be a good idea if they flagged errors up on the graph too!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I'm a techno nit wit and had to be talked through the entire procedure, but I can now plug the reader into the pc and see the previous nights readings displayed in an Excel worksheet in numbers and the time for each reading. Unfortunately, I've forgotten how it was done. Hopefully someone much brighter than me will come along and let you know how it can be done.

Reactions: 4 people

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oooh yes so you can (it's under File > Export in the software for anyone else looking)

Screenshot - 26_11_2015 , 11_27_25.png

That 3.4 is right around the error time though... See how it goes tonight!

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've also found it takes about 24 hours for it to settle down.

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair, mines been pretty bang on when compared to my pre driving checks on my other meter, it's been within 0.5mmol each time..

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've had many sensors and with the exception of one, they all seem to read to within 0.5mmol of an actual blood glucose test. I'm more than happy with that. If you do get a rogue one that is way out (more than 15%-20% different) then call Abbott. They're very good, they'll ask a few questions and if they're satisfied with your answers, a replacement will be put in the post free of charge.

I bet your scan total is going to be high today ;)

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would think so yes! Although if I look in the sensor usage it says scans per day 6, I know I've done more than that, that does say last 7 days though so it being the first day might throw it off? I had one earlier that was reading higher than a blood test 5.7 Vs 4.5, think it might be because I was dropping quite quickly though...

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting guys.. I love an excel spreadsheet me like........

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Don't forget that you should wait 15 mins after a bg test and then scan the sensor. Another thing I learned was that you should stay hydrated as the sensor measures interstitial fluid, so if you are de-hydrated it might read higher due to the concentration level. This is not a science, more like a black art............................:( !!