1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle libre sensor

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Haleema85, May 20, 2019.

1. clarejenkins

clarejenkins Type 2 · Active Member

For driving I carry a testing kit and DVLA advise you must retest if Libre showing 4 or under,

• Like Like x 1
  2. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Purchased a freestyle libre about 2 years ago found it particularly useful when doing sport/ exercise and when in a hot climate as well as for general use.Due to expensive is a luxury item for me.Still waiting to get it approved for me. Doing 8-11 tests a day.
    Recently purchased another sensor, but after 2 days did not stick on arm and began to fall off readings incorrect at this point! Has anyone else had this problem, when releasing device to fit sensor seemed unable to release properly.
    I know sensor has become smaller and adhesive area also smaller.

3. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you on a libre 2? The original sensor is still the same size, and the sticky bit the same too. The adhesive may have changed though.

4. Copernicus

Copernicus Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Whats the difference between Libre 1 and Libre 2 ?

5. MeiChanski

MeiChanski Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Libre 2 will be making some beeps when BG goes high or low, that’s all I know and I’m sure other diabetics will put their input on it. But I know it’ll make a noise.

I’m assuming glue improvement as well?

6. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As @MeiChanski says, it's got a fairly primitive hypo/hyper alert system - choose your alert levels, it'll make a noise, but you then need to scan as per usual to see the number. It'll be useful for a lot of folks.

The other major difference is that v1 was "batch calibrated", which meant they made a batch of them, no idea how many in one go, then pulled a few of them from the batch, calibrated them against a known amount of glucose solution, then applied that calibration to every sensor in the batch.

Which would be fine if every sensor in the batch was identical, but they're not, which is why we get sketchy sensors.

With v2, though, they've said that they are going to be calibrating each one individually, not in batches, so that improves the chances of not getting sketchy sensors.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook