Freestyle libre - what should the target levels be for pre diabetes?

kwkiwi

I'm using the freestyle libre continuous glucose monitor. I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. I got my hba1c down from 46 to 40 with Dr Roy Taylor's rapid weight loss diet. Just wondering what should the target levels be set at for someone like me. I have it currently set at 4-8 mmol. Is this the correct setting? Thanks for any advice on this.

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We are all different and set the range to what we feel comfortable with and what we intend to do when the alarm goes off.
My target is set between 4.5 and 9.5 which allows me to react before going hypo or into double figures.
With this range, my HbA1C is 45.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My target is set between 4.5 and 9.5 which allows me to react before going hypo or into double figures.
With this range, my HbA1C is 45.

I have it currently set at 4-8 mmol. Is this the correct setting? Thanks for any advice on this.

I totally agree with InResponse 's post but would point out that as a T1 his treatment is somewhat different to that of a prediabetic, ie he needs to take sugar if low and (possibly) inject if high. So his alarms are useful. As a prediabetic you may want to turn the alarms off (if you can) because there's not much you can do to treat a high (maybe go for a walk???) and all the figures are telling you is how your diet is affecting you (which is useful, but doesn't require an immediate reaction).

There's a thread somewhere on here that discusses the results of a study where non diabetics wore a cgm for a couple of weeks. Fascinating stuff: they had lows as well as highs, but were mostly (IIRC) within the 4-8 band.

Edited to add, congrats on the hba1c reduction down to 40.

kwkiwi

Thanks for the helpful replies. I don't have alarms set, I just look at the in target range.

My blood glucose spikes with the wrong foods (up to 12 or 13mmol sometimes) but has recovered quickly since I got the hba1c down and it's been very helpful to know which foods I should avoid. I definitely have issues with high carb foods and I'm under no illusion that I need to avoid these things. Agree also that the only thing I can do to get my blood glucose down from a spike is exercise of a walk. I just was wondering what my normal range should be since it affects the time in target % I achieve.
I'm seeing my doctor so will ask him this question next week. Thanks again.

D

Deleted member 543160

See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html for NICE recommended ranges/levels.

I'm T2 and have kept my glucose at pre-diabetic levels eating a low carb/ketogenic diet from soon after diagnosis. I'm no longer on any diabetic meds. I initially set both my glucose meter and later my original Libre (when I was using it) to 5-7.5, and this is where my glucose levels like to sit. My HbA1c is generally between 40 and 43, with occasionally higher blips usually due to other non-diabtic health issues, rather than diet..

And I agree that targets are personal. and I believe that type and severity of diabetes, and possibly other health issues, should be used to determine them. I also believe that we should allow for our targets being adjustable (up or down) if necessary and that probably time in target is what we need to work with.