Freestyle Libre

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone,

Ignore the title, I should have said Freestyle Libre meters!

This is just a quick post... I was browsing this site as I was looking for some advice on control and blood glucose management, as I feel like my levels have been consistently high generally over the last few months. (Sort of 9-15 all the time)

I have always used regular meters, I am currently using a Mobile Cassette style meter which is great, but I don't feel like I am testing enough. I noticed on here the website talks about Freestyle Libre meters, which sounds really good because it is a sensor which would mean I would feel comfortable testing more often around people etc.

Does anyone have one of these meters? If so do you know how easy they are to get and use?

Last edited by a moderator:

jodysd6

To use - very easy

To get (at the moment) - very hard - they are not funded in NHS and current waiting list for people to self fund is apparently 6 months +, you have to register interest on the site then they work through the list and when they get to you they send you an email inviting you to buy but I think at the moment some people have been waiting since april with no email to buy yet.

I was lucky and got one when it first launched and it has honestly completely changed my life and how I manage my diabetes, I have made other changes alongside but this has been the biggest thing and I hate going without it now (I can just about afford 2 x 14 day sensors a month but no more so I have to have a few days off every months and more if I knock a sensor off!), but there are teething issues not only with the wait list but other people have had issues with things like skin reactions or accuracy, so maybe I have just been very lucky that it has always done exactly as it claims on the website for me!