Freestyle Libre

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all - just a quicky: I have just ordered myself a Freestyle Libre and wondered if anyone knows if I need an additional Dr's letter if travelling through airports? I'm due to go away this weekend. My DSN thinks I should be okay but if not I'll start with it after I'm home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't see why you would so tend to agree with your DSN, the standard gp letter covers all diabetes related supplies.

Reactions: 2 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Medusa41, I fly a few times per month and wear a dexcom CGM. I have never carried a doctors letter and simply put the receiver through the xray, and if the buzzer goes off when I walk through the metal detector, I politely explain I have a medical device on my arm, but am happy for them to pat me down and or see it if they want. I have had no problems so far including this morning!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I got a doctors letter 2 years ago for flying and have never had to show it - although at the time I thought it was necessary to have one it hasn't been necessary at all.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - just a quicky: I have just ordered myself a Freestyle Libre and wondered if anyone knows if I need an additional Dr's letter if travelling through airports? I'm due to go away this weekend. My DSN thinks I should be okay but if not I'll start with it after I'm home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

I flew a couple of weeks ago, and had the full pat down routine going through security this side of the Pond. The security person obviously felt it, but neither said nor did anything to enquire about it.

For some reason, I almost always have the pat down. I don't have any replacement joints or even masses and masses of fillings, I usually end up attributing it to under-wired underwear. Who knows, but I've never had issues.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got a doctors letter 2 years ago for flying and have never had to show it - although at the time I thought it was necessary to have one it hasn't been necessary at all.
Yes know what you mean - always carry my letter but never been asked to show it! Thanks

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@AndBreathe - me too!! Always me! Thanks - will be prepared then but will try out my new gadget that has now arrived!!!!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fly regularly, never needed a letter of anything else. Only one time did my Libre show up on the full body scanner (which is actually a little worrying, as one would hope that it would show every time!) ... on that one occasion I got taken to a room and asked to show it to the agent (because it was on my upper thigh) - he was very pleasant and apologetic for the inconvenience.