1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre2

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Yaya10_10, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 · Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am a new at this website.

I have an enquiry about freestyle 2 libre. Could you please tell me if I can buy the sensor itself without

the reader. So I try the sensor and activate it with my phone?

Thanks for time

2. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, you just down load the app, either the Libre link or one of the many other ones available, you phone does need an NFC though

3. Yaya10_10

Thanks Lesley

That is helpful
    Thanks again

4. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Yaya10_10
    They are currently offering First libre2 sensor free as a trial if that helps?

5. Yaya10_10

That really helpful

I will check that. Thanks again

6. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes it is possible. Depending on eligibility, you could get one for free, providing you’ve purchased NOTHING from Abbott before and you follow T+Cs

7. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But otherwise it’s £50

8. Yaya10_10

Yes, I need to check if I can get one for free.
    Yes £50 is a lot of money. I need to check with Abbott.

Thanks for your help.

9. KenBachelor

KenBachelor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been using the Libre2 for a while now, with a reader, but it keeps telling me that it's lost contact with the sensor.

Does anyone else have this problem?

10. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi KenBachelor

I had the same problem last week, eventually following a long discussion with Abbott they replaced the sensor. My sensor lost contact with the reader and my phone.

Good luck with this

11. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes I'm having the same problems. First Libre 2 sensor and frequently not giving low alarm either.

12. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My Libre 2 loses contact with my phone from time to time for no apparent reason.
    Usually when the phone is in a breast pocket near the sensor.
    However a scan will show that it is still working, and the alert clears after a short time.

Are you saying that the reader will not scan the sensor?

13. KenBachelor

KenBachelor Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. So it's not just me.

I can scan the sensor, but Abbotts claim that the reader will maintain contact up to 20 meters, although mine often fails when it's in my pocket. Having said that, for me, it's the best thing to have happened in 64 years as a type 1 diabetic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #13 KenBachelor, Jun 27, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  14. Gemma2

Gemma2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I am on Libre2 but I have discovered why you get out of range of the reader. If I leave the reader in another room I get this message. I usually keep Reader in my pocket and it isn’t a faulty Sensor.

15. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

As other people have posted, I find it loses connection a lot even when you're carrying it in your pocket, not just when you leave it in another room. It also happens when right next to me on my bed during the night, and then it won't scan for 10 minutes.

16. Hertfordshiremum

Hertfordshiremum · Well-Known Member

If you have a Hobbs Pharmacy near you they sell them for £40. Do you qualify for VAT exemption? Definitely check this out.

17. UK T1

UK T1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

For those getting signal loss - if you have a libre 2 I find the Diabox app far more consistent in staying connected to the sensor than the libre link app. Haven't tried connecting to the reader so can't comment on that.

I still need to activate sensors with the official Abbot app, but have deactivated bluetooth permissions in the libre link app (by withdrawing the app's permission to have access to my location). Once the sensor has been activated for about 12 hours I then connect it to my diabox app. This then gives more freedom I feel, syncing with the sensor to show my glucose values updated every minute on my phone, acting like a CGM with libre 2, and has a greater range of alarm options. I also found it keeps a more stable connection than the libre link app. I get my sensors on prescription so need to manually scan with the libre link app every 8 hours so my hospital team have access to my data (diabox can't sync because Abbott threatened legal action). There are good 'how to' guides on setting up diabox on here, but also on the diabox Facebook page if you want more info.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Ginny 2

Ginny 2 Type 1 · Newbie

I have just started with Libre2 . The first sensor failed after five days and the current one just alarmed me for a low but my finger prick was 6.6 . Not sure it is any better at this early stage. Ps: (my first ever post)

19. enzina

enzina LADA · Well-Known Member

I never had any problems which the previous reader but the Libre 2 reader is not only slow, loses signal often and last night it completely failed to give hypo warnings although i was low for hours. Today it's working normal again. If it happens again i will ask Abbott for a replacement.

20. annliggins

annliggins Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook