friend needed

type1 mum

Hi everyone, this might sound a bit sad but I have a type1 teenage son and most of the time feel like im living in a war zone. would love to have someone to talk to who is going through or has been through the same as me. To give me advice and reassurance that everythings going to be ok.
Thanjs

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Very hard to have a T1 teenager.. Raging hormones and raging insulin/glucose to try n keep balanced.

I not got T1 child ... Just me T1, but hooe that 'Stoney' or other parents will come along and offer some support.....

It is hard for anybody to accept diabetes at any age. During childhood has to be horrible.. I was early 20 and hated it. Cried myself to sleep every night for 6 weeks. And I was a really grown up, mature child and teenager and young adult.... It is hugely tough on parents...

Tracey69

Hi
I haven't got a T1 child but am a T1 diabetic myself and have been since i was six. From my own experience i did rebel against the diabetes, even up to about 8 years ago my diabetic nurse didn't think i accepted being a diabetic as i just treated myself as a "normal" person. But exceptance, hormones, telling their friends is very hard to be different. It will get better. I know you probaly feel like you are beating your head against a brick wall at present but we are here to offer what support we can.
How long has you child had the diagnosis.
Take care
Tracey

type1 mum

Thanks both, my son was diagnosed only 5 months ago and he is now 16. I feel that whatever I do or say is wrong, as if he blames me. If I mention the D word or ask if he's checked his bloods then I'm checking on him and don't trust him. I think he's struggling but wont talk to anyone about Diabetes. I feel like I'm falling apart and I dont know what to do :-(

Sezchapman

I know exactly where you are coming from, I have a teenage son diagnosed in June 2012 he is now nearly 16 years old. My son has other problems as well ADHD and OCD, he is I finding this hard as he can't carb count, and won't try at present, so I am left totally in charge of working all his shots out. It's made him very angry as I am always having to ask what he is eating and how much for lthe 3 meals a day. Also he is very isolated as he can only go out after breakfast but back before lunch or go out after lunch but back before dinner.
All his friends have dropped him as they want to roam about all day and go to chippy or corner shop, and he does not know how to work things out, also I feel he worries he will get it wrong and feels secure with me.
I have been told not to push it as he does do his own injections, and I don't want him totally rebelling. I constantly feel on his back and that he has had his life took off him because of this, it causes major upset and worry and I hate seeing him distressed about no one bothers with him now. I have boys stay at my house, and are even taking a friend on holiday, but not the same for him just chilling out, playing football care free.
It's so hard if you want to talk, it would be nice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Some hospitals arrange childrens diabetic camps etc ( all ages). It may be worth while checking around local areas to see if there are any diabetic childrens meetings etc. i know a friend with a daughter on an insulin pump and her daughter had a holiday arranged through hospital with 50 (!!!) other children camping....

If there isnt anything like this around.. Perhaps you could tdlk to a consultant about setting up a parent/child group??

Sabantha

I was 1 of those terrible teenagers! Was in & out with dka, near death and in high dependence lots! To think what I put my parents through now saddens me extremely! I my diabetes team and parents were great, I can never understand why I went on that way! I'm 26 now and take extreme care with my diabetes, although my earlier years do haunt me! Sore muscles and tiny bit damage to my eyes. Your son will have that defining moment when it clicks he has to 'get a grip' I was 19 and seen my uncle loose both legs due to diabetes, seeing this was the shock I needed! I have to agree on the camps wish that had them for me, focus on diabetes without distraction would do him world of good I bet!! Fun how you can forget how well you feel with target bg readings!! Good luck x

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
To be a mother of a teenager is normally really difficult. With diabetes it´s more than really difficult. My daghter is a type 1 ,too. She´s 19 years old now and we had very difficult times here. She "forgot" to check her bloodsugar and even forgot to give insuline. We have a very grat doctor here and my daughter goes there ones a week. Then it works. We talked a lot and I asked her if she wanted my help and what I could do to help her. She asked me to write her diabetesdiary (by the way: do you have such a diary in GB ?)
During that times her bloodsugar was bad. She knew that and didn´t want to check. Because of that we couldn´t see what went wrong. When she was 16 or 17 her bloodsugar was gettting better. I think it was because of the hormones. She was frustrated because she didn´t know what went wrong. But she thaught it was her fault and than she didn´t want to check her bloodsugar und so all went worse.
It´s difficult for you as his mum. Maybe you can try to find some compromise but you also should have fun togehter without thinking about the diabetes too much.
Good luck
Vera