From the Health Professional area of Sugar Nutrition UK

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
While researching for my 'low carb and the liver article' which is so nearly ready, and shows some great results from carb reduction in people with non alcoholic fatty liver disease I came across the following, rather surprising advice from Sugar Nutrition UK which I suspect represents sugar producers.

“For many years, people with diabetes were told to avoid sugar. However, modern scientific research has shown that people with diabetes can include moderate amounts of sugar in their diet as part of mixed meals, without compromising blood glucose control. Indeed, including some sugar in the diet may actually be beneficial to people with diabetes as it makes it easier for them to keep their fat intake down

Also “People rarely eat sugar on its own. Adding sugar to foods improves their taste and increases the range of foods that people will eat. For example, without sugar many breakfast cereals, which provide important vitamins, minerals and fibre, would be less palatable.

Surveys have shown that vitamin and mineral intakes are rarely lower - in fact, they are often higher - in people who eat the most sugar."

How reassuring to know I can stop worrying my patients about cutting back on sugar !!! ( don't worry I'm being sarcastic)

Reactions: 20 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While researching for my 'low carb and the liver article' which is so nearly ready, and shows some great results from carb reduction in people with non alcoholic fatty liver disease I came across the following, rather surprising advice from Sugar Nutrition UK which I suspect represents sugar producers.

“For many years, people with diabetes were told to avoid sugar. However, modern scientific research has shown that people with diabetes can include moderate amounts of sugar in their diet as part of mixed meals, without compromising blood glucose control. Indeed, including some sugar in the diet may actually be beneficial to people with diabetes as it makes it easier for them to keep their fat intake down

Also “People rarely eat sugar on its own. Adding sugar to foods improves their taste and increases the range of foods that people will eat. For example, without sugar many breakfast cereals, which provide important vitamins, minerals and fibre, would be less palatable.

Surveys have shown that vitamin and mineral intakes are rarely lower - in fact, they are often higher - in people who eat the most sugar."

How reassuring to know I can stop worrying my patients about cutting back on sugar !!! ( don't worry I'm being sarcastic)
This is where proper carb counting comes in....do DAFNE.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
For many years, people with diabetes were told to avoid sugar. However, modern scientific research has shown that people with diabetes can include moderate amounts of sugar in their diet as part of mixed meals, without compromising blood glucose control. Indeed, including some sugar in the diet may actually be beneficial to people with diabetes as it makes it easier for them to keep their fat intake down
Funny that as I've been on insulin for 50 years. Never told to avoid sugar. The term used was carb restriction. Also the type of carb eaten.

I would be interested to know what is meant by moderate as well.
Many years ago an endo told me it was ok to eat sweets just to eat after a meal (this was before MDI) as it helps to slow down the sugar spike and his most profound advice was eat sweets because if you don't you will just binge and do more harm than good. He's advice was spot on as I rarely feel the need to eat sugary foods, mainly because I know it's ok to eat them if I want to.

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yep, a promotional brochure for the sugar industry at its finest :banghead:. Nice to know they have our best interests at heart.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

didn't they say their..'a calorie is just a calorie'...carb fat protein sugar fructose..all the same with a mention of a 'healthy diet' somewhere

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
where is the grain council...we can have doughnuts :)
I eat loads of doughnuts.
Well my wife kids and grand kids do and they save me the hole from in the middle.
They are carb protein and fat free and pretty tasteless but you can eat as many as you like.

Reactions: 11 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There was a huge Tate and Lyles sugar factory close to us on the Mersey, they never called it sugar, they called it 'white gold'.

I wonder what there medical experts would think of my 'reaction' to sugar would be?

Reactions: 2 people