Frozen shoulder??

linsay

Hi.
I have been having terrible trouble with my upper arm. Restricted mobility and very painful. Doc says its a partially frozen shoulder and gave me anti inflammatory tablets. I have been looking into this and seems to be more likely to happen to diabetics. I am type 1. Has anyone else had any experience of this?
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have very painful shoulders both side. I have diificulty in doing lots of things, putting a bra on, reaching up or down for anything, getting a cardigan or coat on, pulling seat belt across. I don't know if it's diabetes related. I had a hip replacement in May last year, so I'm assuming it's down to artheritis spreading.

linsay

Hi sarah. Im not sure to be honest. I have all these symptoms too. Trying to get comfy to sleep is awful. I am 35 had diabetes 26yrs. The doc never mentioned the connection to me it was only when i looked up frozen shoulder diabetes kept coming up also. Im sorry to hear you have pain in both shoulders. Thanks for your reply.
Linsay

hamerill

I had suffered a frozen shoulder for many years until 18 months ago and I had acupuncture. This cured the problem after about 10 sessions.

linsay

Oh thats interesting. Do you think it was related to diabetes? I have to take these tablets for a month but to go back if its not helping. Ive had them for 3wks and nothing so i think ive given them a good chance will be back this wk.

candiloo

Hi - I had frozen shoulders (yes both) when I had been undiagnosed for 5 months and it has only just gone and I think it is the B12 I was advised to take when I fell and hurt my arm in November last year. Nothing else was helping really - alleviating but not getting rid of it. I had massage therapy, physio and all this did was leave me in pain, but since the B12 I have little pain and almost all the movement is back. This also helps cognitive function and if you have metformin, B12 can be destroyed by it. Apparently you can't over do it so I just have 1 x 1000mg tablet every day and am a new person.

MattyK

I had a massive car crash back in July and broke my shoulder. It started to freeze almost straight away, drs said they had to leave it to fully freeze to allow the bone to fully heal otherwise any intervention would break it again.
Still have lots of pain and trouble now.
Apparently diabetics are 4 times more likely to get frozen shoulders as a result of diabetes.

Hilary52

I had a frozen shoulder couple of years ago. Tablets did not really help so I had an injection into shoulder. Was hydrocortisone I think. After I had intense physio which was painful but it was worth it as now it feels fine!!!

Hope this helps

linsay

Thanks everyone. All very interesting points. I did read a wee bit about the injections u mentioned. And yep i do take metformin so maybe the B12 could help. Ill give it a go. Thanks

Nanaclaire

I to have frozen shoulder twice left shoulder 3 years ago had to have 3 injections over 6 months. Now it's in my right shoulder just had 2nd injection last Friday still no relief. I'm on strong painkillers , the pain is dreadful. I can't lift ,hold or reach for anything feel so useless with being right handed they say it is connected to my diabetes as is most things us diabetics seem to get.

BobCornelius

Not always linked to diabetes though? My left shoulder / arm / hand are a source of constant pain, but this is due to prolapsed discs in my spine! I have already had corrective surgery on 4 discs in my neck, but now 2 more are prolapsing! Degenerative spine is the diagnosis, I now have sciatic pain in my right leg! No direct link to diabetes, as far as I have seen! :)

:)

Bob

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I was unable to articulate my left shoulder for 6 months after cleaning the walls of my swimming pool - the unnatural position resulted in severe pain and having to hang the arm to get any relief. After two visits to a QUALIFIED (seven years training) chiropractor I was completely healed with no recurrence for 40+ years. Hope this will be of help.

iHs

Hello Linsay

I suffered with frozen shoulders back in the late 90's right the way through until 2007. It tends to affect women more than men and usually starts to be a problem for diabetics in their 40's.

At the moment, your shoulder is partly frozen. When it becomes completely frozen you then have to wait for it to thaw, then once the thawing process begins, you will be able to make use of physio to enable you to lift your arm up in the air and draw circles in the air by rotating your arm in a circular movement and doing other types of exercise like walk your arm up a wall as high as you can manage. You could try doing these types of exercise now to see if you can free the shoulder up but if not, see if the tablets help,. Take a hot water bottle to bed with you and try and stuff it under the shoulder affected as that will help deal with the pain while you sleep. Also, during the day try and get someone to massage some mustard oil into the muscle areas of your back where the armpit is and also on the shoulders and in the centre of your back. Massaging the muscles will help to stop them losing their elasticity and will also help to enable you to try walking your arm up a wall a lot easier.....

All the best as it will be a bit - grin and bear it for a while.....

horse woman

I've had frozen shoulders on and off for about 25years. not related to diabetes as only diagnosed last year. When I 1st got it my doctor said it could last for upto 2 years at a time, luckily it only usually lasts a few weeks. I've got it at the moment, had it for about 6 weeks now, nothing spercific sets it off I just woke up with it. Taking anti-inflamataries to ease it a bit, might have a try with the B12 mentioned earlier. Hasn't stopped my weekly swimming or golf when weather permits.

linsay

Hi. Thank you so much for your comments im def going to try the hot water bottle tonight and as much as i can do with the exercises. Really appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. Good advice given.

pollybostik

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Linsay

I too have had a Frozen shoulder twice now first the left utter agony! then the right 18 months later. I was sent to physio and the second time I went they suggested the Needle but I refused. Went to see an herbalist and started taking a natural anti-inflammatory which worked a treat. So I knew what to do when it happened again. It is different for every one I thought it was my under active thyroid that had caused mine as I have only known I have diabetes 4 weeks now but I have been told I could have had it a long time.

I do hope you get some relief soon from some of the suggestions by everyone

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've self referred myself to physio.

Saw her this week, she immediately said that diabetes and frozen shoulders is common. However, she immediately sent me for blood tests and an xray, as I have had previous diagnosis of palindromic rheumatism, fibromyalgia and largely raised rheumatoid factor levels and an unusual ANA result. These tests done years ago, and since moving from Wales all my medical history has disappeared. She could not see any of my previous history at all, so just incase has had to redo tests.

She did mention that there was a disease/injury that could give symptoms of frozen shoulder, but was an injury that if caught early enough could be operated on. I can't recall what she called the injury though. That is why she sent me to have my shoulder xrayed.

Glad that I self referred myself to physio and that they have done tests that my gp should have redone.

linsay

Thanks all. I have spoken to doc today and i have to go on monday to see if an injection would be suitable for me. If not it will be physio. Just need to see what happens on mon but i do have to say the hot water bottle helped in the night!