Frozen Shoulder

bernie25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello my name is Bernadette and I have suffered with Type 1 Diabetes for fifty two years now. My health is good I have recently been told my thyroid is under active borderline but not on tablets yet. I have suffered with a frozen shoulder now for nine months I went to my GP re getting a steroid injection as I had the same thing twenty years ago and believe it or not in the same job checkout operator. My GP then, gave me the injection and the next day it was gone and have had no bother until now. I am in the same type of work again part time 16hrs and it is back but this time my GP would not do the injection. Anyone with this I know exactly what they are going through as it is so painful. Also I have had to get my Hospital Doctor who looks after me with the Diabetes to write to them re my shifts as I feel a diabetic needs routine especially with meals. They have come back to me and I have gave them times which would suit me with my diabetes but as yet they have not come back to me. Do I wait or do I bring it up again and should I get any help re my shoulder. If anyone can give me answers please do.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I think if was me and I was in pain, I would be chasing the quacks to do something........

Why did your GP refuse to give an injection?

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not all GPs have the training to give steroid injections into shoulders, so an untrained GP must refuse, but could refer to a colleague. However, views about when to use this treatment may have changed in 20 years.

I'm currently suffering a frozen shoulder, have consulted physio to get exercises to maintain the movement I have. GP declined steroid injection, although he can do it, as he reckoned the possible benefit wasn't enough to outweigh the risks, especially as my range of movement isn't too limited and I can deal with pain by taking ibuprofen. He also advised againsy hyodilatation, as mentioned by physio, for the same reason.

Although I've only had type 1 diabetes for 20 years, I'm not sure why you need regular mealtimes - basal bolus regime means I can eat any time of the day or night, and often work nights and very irregular hours, marshalling on mountain races etc.