1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fruit (gooseberry) crumble

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by rowan, Jul 25, 2015.

1. rowan

rowan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've got a load of gooseberries in the garden which are quite sweet, I've never like goosegogs so was surprised they're so nice! I'm wondering about a crumble - does almond flour work ok in a crumble?

I'm going to try a gooseberry fool too, seen a recipe that uses greek yoghurt and double cream so will ty that one with xylitol. Does anyone have any suggestions for other recipes? Never cooked with them before!

2. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm going to stew some gooseberries with rhubarb (I'm obsessed with rhubarb at the moment). Mine aren't sweet! :***:

I just lob the goosegogs and chopped rhubarb into my big frying pan, with a dribble of water.
    Low heat, stirring gently, til everything is soft.
    Seeten to taste (i use erythritol) and serve with yog or double cream.

:wacky:

3. dawnmc

dawnmc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are recipes for nut crumble on the net, its a bit like a granola. Very tasty.

4. Jon Lee

Jon Lee Type 2 · Member

Use porridge oats, either as they are or blitz some or all in a food processor. You may find that you need less butter/margarine than with flour (or more oats). Just rub the fat into the oats, stir in sugar substitute and cover the fruit. I prefer this to ordinary crumble.

5. sanguine

sanguine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Depends how you react to oats, they don't do me any favours. But gooseberries are great with or without a nut-based crumble.

6. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We had some gooseberries given to us but they were not really ripe and were exceptionally sour. I cooked them with xylitol. I don't use sweetener as a rule but I bought it for the gooseberries so was not sure how much of it to use so I tipped it in until I thought they were sweet enough it was quite a lot but I obviously used to much and without going into details and will leave it to your imagination I will just say I couldn't leave the house for the following 24 hours and I will never use sweetener again

7. rowan

I can't eat nuts :(

8. rowan

Not tried oats since I discovered porridge sends my BG sky high!

9. dawnmc

Think you may struggle then. Why not google, I'm sure something will pop up.

10. dawnmc

• Just did a quick google for you Rowan, bar the sugar this seems doable. Use butter instead of the coconut oil.

Topping
    • ½ c Coconut Flour
    • 1 c Coconut Flakes
    • ½ c Palm Sugar (Turbandino or other non-refined dry sugar, just not in liquid form)
    • ½ c Coconut Oil
    • 1 tsp Cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp Sea Salt

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook