fruit juice

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Can anyone clear this for me please. I am confused which orange drink is best for me to drink.
Is it the pure squeezed fruit from oranges. Or the drink made from consentrate.

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally i find that either one sends my sugars soaring so try to avoid them - but the only way you will know is to test! Best is to have a real orange instead I find - especially since you can eat it a segment at a time over a longer period.

If I find that I absolutely must have fruit juice - I put a very small amount in a tall glass and add club soda. You get some juice taste and if you were a former drinker of things like coke, you can almost fool yourself into getting the same satisfaction of the fizzy drink. Works for me anyway :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Janemm,

I'm with CeeCee on this one - all fruit juice (freshly squeezed or concentrate) sends my BG sky high - in fact I use it to bring myself out of hypo :lol: It was orange juice that got me diagnosed - had a large glass of orange juice with breakfast and then went to doctor for someting and they took a random blood test - BG tested at 12! I guess some people can drink it, but you are best sticking to no-added-sugar squash. Half an orange might be OK because of the fibre in it (although I can't eat them). If you really are going for orange juice, make it a very small glass and test to see what it does.

Smidge

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
:( Thanks, for that. I'll have to start and do some testing. I know when I was first diagnosed I noticed an orange or most fruit sent my BG up. Think I am just in a bad routine at the moment.
I will get over it.
Jane

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi when i was first diagnosed i thought i was doing good by drinking fruit juice and eating apples etc etc . I was comparing notes on the forum and to my suprise i was strongly advised about fruit juice being natruly sweet also enhanced by the way fruit juice is made (basicly when a fruit is broken down with a blender it actually creates more suger .
Hope that's helpe you :D
JF

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi

my son drinks no added sugar squash and thats fine we buy robinsons and it makes no effect on his result at all maybe worth a try

anna marie

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Portion size is the other factor to consider - small 200ml cartons of UHT juice are available, but never seen freshly squeezed in bottles or cartons smaller than 330ml.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
ams162 said:
hi

my son drinks no added sugar squash and thats fine we buy robinsons and it makes no effect on his result at all maybe worth a try

anna marie

Thanks Anna marie,
I must admit I have not tried the robinsons.
Thanks to all I love this forum. especially when you feel a bit down and things seem to get out of hand.
Jan

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use ASDA's No Sugar Added Cranberry or Cranberry & Blueberry juice for breakfast. It's quite low in natural sugar and has a higher juice concentration that Tesco's or Sainsbury's for the same price

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Daibell said:
I use ASDA's No Sugar Added Cranberry or Cranberry & Blueberry juice for breakfast. It's quite low in natural sugar and has a higher juice concentration that Tesco's or Sainsbury's for the same price

You need to be careful with these juices. Some of these (no added sugar) when diluted can contain around 20g carbs per 250 mil glass. They vary so much. Do you know what the carb content is of these particular ones ?