1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fruit Salads - Recipes

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by robert85, May 24, 2022.

1. robert85

robert85 Don't have diabetes · BANNED

Hey,

Are these recommended for diabetes? Do you like that kind of meals? If so, post recipe for your favourite raw fruit salad :)

Thanks,
    Robert

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

No. Although some T1's can correctly dose insulin for it. I definitely can't.
    I love fruit and fruit salads and it makes me sad I cannot eat them without skyrocketing blood sugars.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I find that I am ok with a small fruit salad of blueberries, strawberries and raspberries if I have full fat creme fraiche at the same time. An occasional treat as I do not take any medication.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Fruit salads will boost your BG very quickly and massively, but vegetable salads are generally safe. I can advise a delicious salad of cottage cheese, tomatoes, basil, vegetable oil

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yum! :hungry:

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm another T2 on diet only so only eat a few berries with yogurt, or 'fruit' such as rhubarb in fake crumble.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Am away at the moment and my hostess did a dessert of baked nectarine in honey...
    Massive spike.
    I'll stick to a few berries, most being homegrown raspberries or locally foraged blackberries, simply frozen to last the yead5

• Hug Hug x 3
  8. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

and @Antje77:
    I have a Greek style variant of this with
    • feta cheese
    • kalamata/black olives
    • small cherry/piccolo tomatoes
    • basil leaves
    • olive oil

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@robert85

As an unmedicated T2 eating a ketogenic/lchf style diet, the closest I generally get to making fruit salads tends to be small quantities of mixed berries with full fat versions of double cream, creme fraiche, or maybe Greek yoghurt. Morrisons have a Black Forest frozen fruits pack (cherries, blackberries, blackcurrants, blueberries). which at 8.2 carbs per 100 grams means minimal carbs within my chosen fruity portion "allowance" of approx 50g weight. I often add cocoa powder to the cream with this selection to make a chocolate "sauce". I use erythritol/stevia if I want to add any sweetening.

However, in general I've found that if I choose a small enough portion (both size and/or carbs wise) I can eat a fairly wide range of preferably in season low carb fruit, not necessarily just berries. Using my meter shows me what are or are not acceptable amounts. Diet Doctor has lists and charts of low carb fruits, which you could use to make your own selection for a fruit salad.

10. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, and I do, even with the higher carb fruits like melon and pears. The portion usually is a single bite (but not in the morning because then it still makes me rise). Hardly worth making a fruit salad the size of a single bite, unless you're into cooking like this: :hilarious:

I also use fruit to treat a hypo when I get the chance, no time for a fruit salad though in those circumstances.

Eating just a bite from a fruit spoils the fruit pretty soon, I only have this luxury because my little friends in the garden are happy to eat the rest, I wouldn't want to have to throw away a whole pear minus a bite.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. bobandpat

bobandpat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

12. Dr Snoddy

Dr Snoddy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Adore the 'pig' family!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook